Thursday, June 14, 2007

Should be Playing Snake & Ladder...

During a simple gathering, a woman (near 50 of age) was astonished to see that some kids were gathered and were happily playing cards.

She asked me, "How can they be playing cards?"
I so believe she was half-hoping I could step forward and stop those kids from playing cards. She would be impressed if I could deliver a lecture on why-you-shouldn’t-be-playing-cards to those kids on the spot. :P

I was too surprised with her question. I tried to be as polite as possible and watching my tone, "Why not?"


She did not give her reason(s), but gave some suggestions instead. She added, "Why not play snake-and-ladder or scrabble?"

She may not have given her reasons, but I think I know why. It must be the gambling element that is often associated with playing cards.


I replied her and I was more to the point, "Oh, playing snake-and-ladder or scrabble, also can gamble what."
Upon seeing her surprised look, I playfully added, "You don't believe, want to bet?"
(Haha.. I was merely making an attempt to re-inforce the idea that when gambling is concerned, it can be everywhere or we could gamble at just anything.)


I continued, "It's the playing mentality we should be more concerned with. I see that the kids are having a decent clean fun game with cards. I think that is pretty harmless and should be entertaining also."


She then questioned me softly, "That means, also can play mahjong lor?"


Mm
...

I was too amazed by her questioning. I felt a little awkward as if lecturing to an almost elderly lady. But since she asked me, I believe she didn’t mind my views.




麻将本无罪。不过是小小玩意儿嘛。
当然是要看玩的人的心态嘛。赌的话,我只是觉得不太好。
打发时间的话,我也觉得很罪过。
但是,若是借此来联络朋友之间的情感应该还算可以接受吧。
我也得承认联络朋友之间的情感的方法有很多,
但偶尔变通一下(但是不沉迷)应该也无妨。

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

衣食住行,佛与众生无误;所以衣食住行,则有别也。
喜怒哀乐,圣贤亦有之;所以喜怒哀乐,则与凡夫不同也。
不为道用,情欲必将泛滥成灾;
以道发端,忧患恐惧无非自性妙如。

No comments: