Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Bark for a Bark

Happen to meet F just last afternoon. I recall quite a funny event.

- - - - - -

We were resting…

Suddenly, 3 wild dogs approached K and F who were sitting together (but I was more than 10 metres away watching). The dogs looked a bit fierce and were barking loudly at K and F while approaching them. The dogs advanced nearer and nearer and continue barking. They were then only about 3 metres away from K and F.

3 dogs barking… Rather loud indeed.

I noticed K appeared a bit stern (but remain seated), or rather more focused as he was staring at the dogs anticipating their next moves. He later told me that he was ever ready to deliver kicks at the dogs if they dare to come any nearer. In any case, the dogs continue to bark at them.

I was wondering then : Do they need my help?

But when the thought crossed my mind, I saw F stood up and got ready to act. I felt a bit more relief. I thought I could learn from F to see how he would handle the situation.

Why?
Because F lived in kampong during his childhood days well up to his teenage-years. Naturally, he would have more experience handling dogs, or even wild dogs. K on the other hand is very much a city person throughout his life.

But.. What F did was.. erm.. beyond my imagination.

He stood up and “bark” at the dogs. OMG! Haha..
On one side, we have 3 dogs barking at K and F ; on the other side, we have F “barking” at the 3 dogs. I know F was trying to scare the dogs away. But I tell you, the scene was so comical. It looked more like he was talking/communicating with the 3 dogs in the dog-language (bark).

And obviously F doesn’t know the dog-language well enough. He only made the dogs confused and barked ever louder. Haha..

I was thinking : Cham lah. What are you doing? Why challenge the (wild) dogs this way? *shake head*

It was then I think I need to go to their assistance.

I just walked calmly (but quite briskly) toward them (the 3 dogs, K and F). But my eyes were fixed firmly on the dogs, without blinking and I was carrying a disapproving look. When I was approaching nearer and nearer, the barks of the dogs got softer and softer. And when I was just about 2 metres away from the dogs, I waved lightly with my hands and they all kept quiet and quickly walked away.

Anyway, ...

(1) We were the one intruding into the dogs' space, I think. You see, we were not the first time there. At that timing, those 3 dogs were often found resting on that spot. That day for some reasons, K and F were resting on the resting spot for those dogs and of course when the dogs came by and saw their favourite resting spot being taken up, they became a bit furious.

(2) Whenever K talks about the event, he will always remember it as 4 dogs barking, not 3.

(3) Ha.. Am I fiercer than the (wild) dogs? :P

- - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

有形的富贵终必衰败,唯有无形的富贵,才能万古长存。

世人以为有财势则富,有地位则贵,
其实这是后天的富贵,也就是有形的富贵。

圣人以有德学则富,有才智则贵,
这才是先天的富贵,是属于无形的富贵。

所以,凡夫只重于有形,而圣贤这重于无形。

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only know that you have a way with your students, never know that you have a way with doggies too.. What else?..

Anonymous said...

What else?.. aiyo... erm ...
I think I'm better at messing things up in almost all (if not all) cases. Heh..
There are people who cannot tahan me, there are dogs that bite me... blah blah blah..
But each time, I only hope I learn from it.. :o)