Thursday, March 13, 2008

Till Such Extent??

A stall tucked away at a corner was about to start business.

Someone (L) in front of me ordered : 请给我一包烧饭。

The reply was… erm… you might be surprised.. (highlight the region after the colon if you think you are ready for it) :
对不起,你是第一位客人,不可以要炒饭。
你叫别的好吗?




L : Huh? 为什么?

The reply : 因为。第一位客人要炒饭。等一下通通都要烧饭。

L : Orh.. 你们 Pun-Dang 是吗?

The reply : Err.. 是咯Mm.. 不然你让后面的先生 (referring to me) 先点菜。那么就可以了。

If I was in my playful mood, I would have ordered “2 packs fried rice please”. Haha..

Dotz

I don’t get the logic actually.
Isn’t it the same? I mean it’s all business. What’s so wrong about all ordering fried rice? Mm..
Okay, I try to imagine…
If really all are going to order fried rice, that would mean…
- they need to cook unusually more rice..
- the noodle, kuay teow, hor fun they (pre-)prepared will be untouched..
- the (pre-)prepared ingredients for many of their dishes will be untouched too..

Mm..

Fine..
They just hope to earn a decent living, and do not hope any other invincible force to interrupt unnecessarily.

- - - - -

I know many people are superstitious in many ways. But to let it manifested in such an extent puzzled me quite a bit.

Are you superstitious too? :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha...
Just like us..
No Paus STRICTLY at work,
MUST shower and scrub before work,
when people die the 7th day must open doors and on all the lights....

Anonymous said...

Some practices are indeed interesting. Yet to label all these as superstitious may be wrong also.

For instance, about the {头七} you were mentioning. While some think it is just a silly superstitious practice, some actually observed, saw and felt the coming-back. In other words, the {头七} is a fact in the spiritual realm. :o)

Ha... The same thing can be "superstitious" to one, but "hard-raw-fact" to another. :o)