Wednesday, May 30, 2007

2007 : Remembrance of China (Part 1) ..

I think I shall pen down some random thoughts in parts. Photos later (for I need a little bit more time to post-process them).

The Nature of Tour..

We did not follow any tour group / package. It was entirely free and easy. It was really quite an experience to travel on the buses the locals are travelling in, to shop in the places where the locals shop in, to eat at where the locals frequent, to…

In other words, we simply blend in (most of the time).

Because we speak Mandarin, some even thought we were locals (from other parts of China).

I will always remember in Chengdu, the bus fare within the city can be either RMB1 or RMB2 to travel from one base station to the other end of the base station. (By the way, the currency conversion ratio is about S$1 : RMB5)

I like the experience.


Getting Maps..

To facilitate our moving-around the cities, a decent map will be important. Unfortunately, maps are not that readily made available to tourists (much unlike New Zealand and Australia). Even the maps provided at tourist-attractions can be rather sketchy and of not-that-good quality.

Many times when we asked, we were told, “You can buy it over at that shop nearby.”
Mm..
But but but..
- Sometimes, (we saw at Guangzhou) many companies may come together to print maps as a means of advertisement. That is to say, the map will come together with many advertisements in print and even in CD.
- Many hotels and restaurants may give simple locality-map around their vicinity, printed at the back of their business card. Those weren’t very useful most of the time.
- Sim’s Cozy Guesthouse (at Chengdu) is by far the most generous. It provides the entire detailed city map of Chengdu with many highlights and bus-route information.

So, just asked for it, although the reply might be disappointing. We might be directed to some good sources if we ask the right person nicely.

I will remember an isolated experience at Jiuzhaigou. Due to some events, the English version map of Jiuzhaigou (which is of much better quality and very detailed) actually ran out of print. On my first attempt on the first day, I was told there wasn't any left and the stock will not arrive any so0ner. On my second attempt on the next day (entrance fees paid for Jiuzhaigou can actually permit entry for two consecutive days), I tried again. I was just trying my luck. That time, I was more relaxed and engaged in simple conversation with the lady attending to me. She admitted the map ran out of print, but she was willing to give the last copy (staff copy) to me. Hehe.. I didn't want to get her into trouble, for we know she might need the last staff copy to give simple directions to foreigners. But she politely assured me it was okay to let me have it. :P

Erps.. I got to go. More to write, probably later, probably tomorrow. :o)

- - - - - - - -





Can we actually play a neat soccer game on this soccer field? Haha..

No comments: