Wednesday, December 19, 2007

She had a bigger share because…

L met up with a friend (N) for dinner.
With agreement of
N, L decided on the menu and the dishes were served shortly.

Dish A looked appetizing and both
L and N liked it so much. So they munch and munch and munch.

Dish B looked fine. They both tasted it. Both thought that it was not that fantastic, but still edible
lah.
N exclaimed (after tasting it once) : I am not going to eat this anymore, you can have it all.

N continued to munch and munch on Dish A.. and subsequently Dish C (which she liked) and left Dish B entirely to L.

So
L got this opportunity take more of Dish B which both thought that it was only so-so, and ate less of Dish A and Dish C which both thought that they were fantastic. Mm..

I know we like good food.

But…

On a sharing basics (and assuming we don’t
tolerate wastage and we have similar consumption capacity), taking more of one, means taking less of the other.

In other words, when we say “
I am not going to eat this anymore”, we are also implying to our mates “please continue to take this not-so-good food and I shall continue to tuck in on the better ones”.

But we know we all like good food.
Mm..

Wouldn’t it be more “appropriate” when we all feel that something is nice, we share with friends fairly and even hope they could have a bigger share?
Haha..

Something like, “Oh, this is nice. I see you like it too. 多吃。多吃。

In the same light, wouldn’t it be more “appropriate” when we all feel that something is not that nice, we don’t mind taking a bigger share and of course in the least it’s okay to have a fair share with friends? Haha..

L did not “complain” lah.
L and N are merely stranger characters I saw over the next table during dinner.
I wrote this because
N’s comments were loud and could be heard easily and I was stunned a little.



Maybe the basic principle for a more gracious society is still
《 一人一半 》

But I don’t mind (and in fact gladly doing so) taking a bigger portion of the not-so-good categories, because I know my pals will have a bigger portion of the better ones. =)

- - - - - - - - -




HOW TO HANDLE A PROBLEM NEIGHBOUR

No comments: