Monday, January 14, 2008

Out of Reach..

I walked into the registration area of MRI Suite. I wasn’t alone and so I have to wait. During the waiting, I overheard a conversation between an old man and the lady doing the registration.

Conversation translated from Hokkien.

Lady R : An Pek, you must come back on xx Jan at xxxxh.

Ah Pek (only looked at her and let out a sound) : mm

Lady R : Ah Pek, do you hear me clearly? You must come back on xx Jan at xxxxh. You must do the scan first. If not cannot see the doctor. Ok?

Ah Pek : I hear you clearly. Can you please help me to write the date down.

Lady R : Oh, it’s already written here. On xx Jan, bring this registration card here also. The payment for the scan would be $470+.

Ah Pek (noticeably hesitated long enough) : 有钱才来。没有钱怎么来。
He was almost talking to himself.
But Ah Pek added : 你说对吗?

Lady R : You can tell your son. Must come punctually on the day. And bring along the payment. You can tell your son. Ok?

Ah Pek (almost talking to himself again) : 有钱才来。没有钱怎么来。没有钱也要看怎么借到。好吧。

Ah Pek added : Can someone lead me out. I don’t know how to get out of here.

- - - - - -

It was just a simple conversation I overheard. But it left a bitter-sour after-taste in me.
MRI is only the first step.
What about the follow-up treatments and/or therapies?
Why is he alone?
How can he cope with his medical expenses?

MRI Scan is indeed rather expensive.
$470+ quoted is actually the subsidized rate.
The non-subsidized rate is $720+.
Another person before me had to scan two areas, the rate quoted for him is above $1000 (I have no idea whether the quote is subsidized or not).

Mm..
While there may be many medical subsides, I think certain treatments may still be rather out of reach for some people.

- - - - - -

身无病痛简直就是莫大的幸福!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*nod nod*
in fact, for these people, help is out of reach in many areas..
if only there are little things that we can do for them..