Thursday, January 31, 2008

Right Shoulder “Verdict”

Interpreting a series of the MRI scan of my right shoulder recently …

There is a comminuted fracture at the anatomical neck of the right humerus. Separate fracture fragments are identified at the greater tuberosity. These are associated with prominent hyperintense bone oedema on IR scans.

The inferior gleno-humeral ligament is thickened. Suggestion of disruptions at the cartiliginuous labrum, anteriorly and posteriorly at their mid-portions.

A joint effusion is evident, located in the axillary pouch. A couple more lobulated fluid collections are observed adjacent to it, inferior to the scapula neck, suggestion paralababral ganglion. In addition, there is a sliver of fluid in the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa.

. . . . and so on . . .

- - - - - - -

The doctor gave his advice in a rather personal tone : If this is my shoulder, I would … go for an operation to get it fixed.

Kaoz.. I don’t like the word “operation”.

He proceeded on with the details of how it would be done in surgical terms.

Of course, he elaborated that I could opt to let it heal naturally, which will take much longer and not without ill effects (which frankly speaking, I must agree with him because I’m already experiencing those effects a little bit).

I opted in, although I don’t like it. I got to face it. Ha.. I can’t wait to get it healed fast enough so that I can .. erm… do whatever in full might again. :o)

So, soon enough I shall get myself cut and fixed. With the advancement of technologies, I was told it is going to be just two small openings, cut and sealed within 2 hours while I am forced-to-sleep.

Strange. I am actually looking forward to it, although I don’t like it. Why? I think it’s because I am looking forward to my full recovery much much more. If the surgical procedure is a hurdle I got to clear first (before my full recovery), I guess I got to clear it willingly and happily. :o)



~ ~ Leaping with Joy ~ ~
I hope to be able to leap with joy with all limps swinging freely too.
So Doc, I am leaving it to you.


Interestingly, I was later referred to a Pre-Admission Counselling & Evaluation section. And this is the place more scary than the operation theatre. This is the place I was told that my surgical procedure will cost approximately $10680 (and it will cost more if I were to be warded immediately after it). *Faint*

What are the means to gather such fund in general?

A conversation with someone yesterday crossed my mind.
Someone : Nanzi, your room phone number, last 4 numbers, come out first prize leh.
Me : Wa.. Really? Good man!
Someone : How much you win?
Me : My winning? Erm.. As much as my stake.
Someone : Huh? What you talking?
Me : Oh. My stake = $0. My winning = $0. So My winning equals my stake lor.

Hahaha ..

Okay, come back to the main topic. Hospital bills are worryingly high in general. I also don’t know what to say. You see insurances important or not?!

No comments: