Saturday, May 03, 2008

Another Flat Tyre : Some Lessons Learnt.

It started from taking a route that otherwise need not be taken. Mm

Skipping the details of the irrelevance..

I realised the steering-feeling of my car at a carpark seemed so odd. I decided to come down and check. Bingo! I was right. The front right tyre was flat flat flat. Mm

It was 9pm and I was already quite exhausted from the toll of the day.

Nevertheless, without much hesitation I folded up my sleeves, I emptied my car-boot, took out the spare tyre and the necessary tools… but but.. only to realize my right shoulder hasn’t really regain the power. So how to change the tyre myself??!!

Felt strangled.

Idea struck.

I called ComfortDelgro 24-hr hotline for breakdowns and towing (6553-1111). The operating lady asked if I am a kind of member of whatever. I anyhow hamtam-ed that I am a UDRIVE member (without any idea how relevance that piece of information was), and they said the promotion is still on and therefore they shall sent the mechanics to me free-of-charge.

Felt lucky.

They promised the mechanics shall reach me in 45-min time. That was bearable. I took a book and went to a nearby stall to la-kopi, relaxing. I needed a break. The mechanics reached before 30 min was up.

The mechanics was efficient. All was done by 10pm. After the tyre-switch, he simply took down some details from my self-print-out-udrive-membership-card. (Yes the membership card is a self-print-out-card as the membership is also free mah.)

Looking at the silly thin spare tyre on my M3 gave me a weird and insecure feeling. But it was already 10pm and hence… wait a minute. My concern must be a common one. Or rather, my concern must have all written all over my face. Before the mechanics left, he left me a contact saying a place not too far away provides tyre repair from 8:30am till about 1am everyday, if I was that worried.

I was game for it. I took down the general directions : one end of Balestier Road, near Quality Hotel, near one of the exits of CTE, near Fragrance Hotel, in front of a Chinese temple. I went down immediate after that. Not difficult to find. But the information on Fragrance Hotel was the most misleading as there are many Fragrance Hotels along Balestier Road, one more fragrance than the other perhaps. Haha.. Anyway, that company is Lee Huat Tyre & Battery Co.

The attention was immediate. I learnt that getting the spare tyre patched may cost $10. If the tyre is “un-patchable”, changing the whole tyre is another story.

Not too long after, I was on the road again, feeling good and more secured with 4 proper tyres once again.

Some lessons learnt :

(1) Many tyre designs nowadays usually flatten slowly unless the damage to it is really big. It is suggested to drive in to petrol kiosk to pump up the tyre and then drive to the nearest “rescue” workshop. If the journey to even the nearest “rescue” workshop is also quite far away, we may even consider pumping up the tyre a few times at petrol kiosks along the way.

(2) ComfortDelgro 24-hr hotline for breakdowns and towing coupling with Udrive membership proves useful. Free leh and rather efficient too.

(3) Unearthly hours to driver’s rescue is available (at Balestier Road). Pricing is also rather fair, I think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -





有人说爱情是一杯茶,时间一久就淡了
也有人说爱情更像是一个煲,时间越长越有滋味


No comments: