Monday, November 27, 2006

Feeling Like A Tourist …

I may be living here (tiny-red-dot-on-the-world-map) for many years.. ha.. but many times I still feel like a tourist when moving around here.

Beside the northern part of the country, also everywhere I go, I need to first consult a map. If I don’t visit the same new place a few times in a relatively short span of time, most probably I would need to consult the map when I need to go there again. Luckily, I have not much problem in map-reading.

I am always quite amazed by my father (and many older uncles and aunties alike). They can’t read maps, yet they don’t seem to have a problem moving around in the car almost everywhere. Just tell them the address, okay not even the full address, just : Bedok, Blk 412, quite near MRT lah. Most probably they will say okay and they just set off and their senses will guide them there. Silly me may still enquiry what is the exact street name huh? Got any special features near by or not? Wait, I read the map first. Still I can make some wrong turns here and there. Haha..

Today is nice.

I feel like a tourist again.

First time visiting Mustafa Centre.
A 24-hour shopping place. Heard that it is very crowded over the weekend. Have been around for quite long. Must be visited by millions of genuine tourists already.

First time visiting Beach Road – Army Market.
Yes, not kidding you, I went through NS, heard about it but never once step foot in it, until today. Haha..

Oh, and traveling first-time on some new roads too.

Actually, the feeling is quite refreshing. Obviously, I have not been moving around frequent enough. So suah-gu lor. The worst situation was : My father had been sending me to NUS-hostel almost on a weekly basis during my uni-days for 4 straight years. Two years after graduation from NUS, I got a driving licence but I immediately realized I still couldn’t make my way there on my own. Now I know, of course. Okay lah, over the years, there has been slight improvement. =)

While feeling like a tourist is nice and refreshing, I do encounter varying degree of embarrassment. I have been approached by genuine tourists many times and I hardly can help them or give them any sensible directions. Today, I was approached again... erm … Luckily, some pals were by me for the “rescue”. Haha..


Give me some time. I think I will get my bearings right.

No comments: