Monday, November 06, 2006

“You are the Pain in the Neck”

“You are the Pain in the Neck!”
Anyone ever said that to you?.. Erm.. I hope not.

But, some days back, I heard that a 5 year-old kiddo actually said this over the phone to his dear mother. It was said under the context when his mother asked him whether he had any problem with his homework. The mother was assessing the need to rush home to assist this kid in his homework in between her scheduled appointments on the day.

Maybe that was just a “careless” utterance, but the hurt is done. The kind of expression on the face of the mother, I can still remember quite vividly. If that kid felt the pain in the neck, the mother must have felt the pain 100 times more in the heart.

Kids nowadays are really expressive. It is good in many senses. However when “unguarded”, I wonder where it will all lead to. I’m not suggesting the mother has not done her part in guiding the kid. Perhaps, there are many other means influencing such development. You can name some, I so believe.

I just feel like recording this simple account as it strikes me hard again that...
What we say or do may cause hurt to someone. Let's be mindful of our utterances and actions.
But what we say or do can also “heal” someone. Let's also be mindful and be generous to sing praises for others, and be a strong supporting pillars for those in need, etc.
The decision is often ours. :o)

No comments: