Friday, February 23, 2007

Dilatation of Pupils

Pupils need to be dilated to facilitate observation of the inside of the eyes. Medication (in the form of eye drops) is often needed to make the pupils dilate.

How would you know your pupils are dilated (besides being told by the doctor)?
- Our vision will be blurred. The blur vision may last for approximately 4 hours.
- We can’t read the time on our watch.
- We can’t read the smses from our handphone.
- When someone call to our mobile phone, the caller-id feature is useless. We can’t see the display clearly.
- We can’t read the instructions/labels on any items (collected at the pharmacy).
- We can’t interpret the printed receipt.
- We can’t see the addressee printed on an envelope.
- We can't read newspaper or magazines.
- We can’t surf the internet.
- We can forget about managing or processing any emails.
- We can only look at far-far-big-big things (although they are still a bit blurry).

I “just” had a first-hand-experience of all the above. If not, I would have posted this entry much earlier.

Erps.. And I drove while I was still under the spell of dilated pupils. Haiz.. I hope I didn’t pose a road-hazard just now. You tell me. How useful when we receive the following tips




only upon our arrival at the clinic itself?

I just got to go slow and steady. Mm

- - - -

I also realised that either
- my pupils are kind of small by the medical standard, or
- my pupils are quite resistant to the medication used to assist in the dilatation of the pupils.

While most (in fact all the others I observed) need one application of that eye drop to have their pupils dilated enough, I required 3 applications. Thick skin, perhaps. :o)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

哎哟..不会可怕吗?..
Mmm...
Blur blur不要驾车、不要走来走去、不要看电脑.. 去睡觉,让眼睛休息了!
凡事小心点..

(在放假,所以有一点闲暇的时间在这里罗嗦.. Hehe)

Anonymous said...

Not scared. Not scared. I "brave" mah. :P
- - -
「假期」果然是「佳期」。
So free.. 哈哈。。

Anonymous said...

i jus happened to realise the effect a few months ago. pretty scary indeed.

Anonymous said...

When my vision improves slightly (at least an hour later), I tried to understand, what is the meaning of "dilated pupils".

I took off my spectacles, stared into the mirror and was amazed by what I witnessed.

The thought I'd .... Haha..
I mean I'd never seen such a pupil:iris ratio before! And I was only looking at a mid-dilated pupils of mine. Then what is fully-dilated pupils? :o)

http://www.nicd.us/signsa30.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/22/34282695_92794c865b.jpg
http://www.iir.com/centf/images/Dilated_Pupil.jpg
http://www.floridaeyecenter.com/Glossary/Images/DilatedEye.jpg