Thursday, January 11, 2007

How They Introduced Themselves ...

Yesterday, I was in a class (not my class, as I was just a stand-in) and there was supposed to be an ice-breaker. As a starter, the OGLs applied the simplest idea of requesting each and every *little pal to introduce themselves.

It went on pretty smoothly. But I was quite startled when the fifth introducer spoke. He said, “I’m so-and-so, I was from what-and-what Secondary School and I’m a repeat.

He was smiling a little when he said “I’m a repeat.” He wasn’t facing the rest and so it wasn’t exactly that kind of friendly smile, it was more like he was smiling at himself. It seemed like he was brave enough to admit it, to admit his failure to everyone, but at the same time, the voice went a little softer and the pace of speech a little hesitant when those words were uttered.

After that confession, the pause was slightly longer than usual before the next introducer spoke. I was just a little concerned. I didn’t want him to feel inferior, I didn’t want the class to view him too differently. I think I tried saying something that loosened the atmosphere slightly. I couldn’t remember my exact words though.

There are 3 repeats in the class, and because the first one ended his introduction that way, the other 2 followed and ended their introduction “I am a repeat also.Mm.. Same smile, comparable tone, similar hesitation..

Towards the end of the day, I met two of the three again. I felt that I needed to talk to them, although I also didn’t know what to talk to them in the first place. Tricky. Of course, I was not teaching them how to “introduce themselves”. I was more concerned about the things behind those same smile, comparable tone, similar hesitation … I just somehow sensed that deep within they don’t feel too-right.

I was trying to say something, yet pretty worried that I might say the wrong thing. *cold sweat man..

Some minutes past…

One of them said “thanks” merrily before taking her leave. This time, the smile was obviously of a different class. Really nice. The other remained to talk more about my teaching subject. He seems more ready to go. I felt more at ease.

I don’t remember their names now and the images of their face are also beginning to fade away. But I do remember the feel of seeing that parting smiles of theirs. :o)

I think I can be quite kapo. Heh...


- - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

一个好的领导者是一个最好的被领导者。

No comments: