Saturday, January 13, 2007

Offer to Share an Umbrella, I should

I was at point A (sheltered), about to cross to point B (shelter). But the pathway between the two points was fully exposed to elements. It was raining pretty heavily, but I was armed with a reasonably big umbrella.

Before making the cross, I hesitated and pondered quite a while. After which, I set the umbrella opened and I walked off. Although I reached point B clean and dry, I somewhat felt tainted and dampened.

The images of people still waiting at point A (and who must have wished to cross to point B) flashed through my mind. They were waiting for the rain to get less heavy. Their wait seemed endless, if you know the weather yesterday. I am thinking now that I could have at least offered someone to cross with me, sharing my umbrella. Heh..

Frankly, during my hesitation I thought too much. My first thought was whether or not to offer to the guy (to my left) nearest to me or to the lady (to my right) with loads of groceries purchased. My second thought was what happen if they were to reject my offer flatly or to return me a suspicious stare?

Am I really so uncomfortable about being “rejected”? Silly me have somewhat become quite complicated in thinking, haven’t I? Maybe I should just learn to leave my feeling aside sometimes. Thick skin a little bit, never mind. Certainly those people waiting there hope to be home sooner. I would have felt grateful if someone were to offer to share an umbrella with me under such situation. How ________ (sorry, I am lost of words) they must have felt to see me walking off alone with such a big umbrella…

I think I will react differently next time. I shall rehearse : “Hi, you wanna cross over there? We could share an umbrella if you don’t mind.


Coincidentally, this morning I was wakened by a dream, in which I was stranded somewhere because of the rain and *someone offered to share an umbrella with me to cross over from one point to another. Yes, it was offered by *someone I thought I know well quite, but have so carelessly "offended". Well… Still felt thankful for that simple offer in the dream and hope *someone continues to do well.

- - - - - - - - - -





No comments: