Saturday, April 14, 2007

Interesting Moments during PTD

During the so-called parent-teacher-dialogue (PTD) session, there was quite many “interesting” moments that I raised my eyebrows quite a bit..

- - - - -

I noticed a pair of parents being particularly cheerful. It was already so late and I was getting a little tired and hence I decided to break the monotony.

They asked, “How’s my son, G?”

I replied, “These 3 weeks, he has been ACTING very studious.”

G was just beside, and he stared almost in disbelief, wide-eyed, expecting the worse to come.

His parents were a little shocked and questioned together, “ACT?”

I tried to contain my laughter and replied, “Oh, I mean I only know him for 3 weeks. But you have known him for 17 years. I can only say these 3 weeks he has been behaving really well, but I can’t tell if that is really him, or he may be just ACTING. Maybe you all can tell me more about him? ”

We all actually burst out laughing. Haha..

I think to
G’s parent, I must be pretty crazy.

- - - - -

C’s mother : My son said you told him … blah blah blah… and I totally agree with you.

I don’t actually remember exactly what I had told
C. But then, those words from her mouth did somewhat sound like mine.

I was quite shocked
C actually shared even my silly opinions with his mother. That is how close they are. Nice.

After our not-that-brief conversation, this mother-son pair actually walked out of the hall hand-in-hand. Very rare and touching right? Oh,
C’s mother also gave me a pretty long lecture of why I should get married soon. I think maybe by the next PTD, she may come equipped with photos, requesting me to pick and choose. Haha..

- - - - -

I was talking to K’s mother. She seemed to be listening. Other than that, she was pretty expressionlessly looking at me. I felt my words were hitting walls. I became a little self-conscious of what I had said. Did I say anything wrong? Did she understand English in the first place?

“You follow me?”, I asked.

She replied in perfect English, “No worries, I am following very well what you are saying.”

There was a pause and she continued to look at me rather expressionlessly. I felt a little awkward and I continued to talk, carefully choosing my every words.

To my surprise, we ended the conversation with her saying (and smiling at the same time), “I like what you are saying. You are encouraging.”

I don’t even remember what I had said to her just now. I thought I felt quite stressed up lor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think I sorta understand how you feel...
That is similar to when I have to talk to the pt or the whole gang of relatives...
imagine a man double of your size stared at you like wanna fight like that...
and at the end of the day u get a compliment letter from them...
it's like roller coaster...
may be worst than that..
LOL.