Thursday, July 05, 2007

Some Responses after an Exam..

It is now not too long after the administration of a pretty major examination. The results are rather disastrous. Of course, we can blame the students for not studying hard enough. But at the same time, I would also like to reflect the general effectiveness of my/our teaching approaches. Mm.. Some responses from the *little pals set me thinking quite a bit.

1.
L
said, “Mr Nanzi, not to worry. I’m
《放长线钓大鱼》 type. Next test, you see. Sure improve one.”

L
scored less than 20%. He still appears somewhat jovial. In fact, he reacted delightfully when he learnt that he scored slightly better than some of his closest friends.

- - - - -

2.

C
texted, “I would not promise you anything now. But I reassure you I will definitely try my very best for the next test.”


C
scored near to 60%. But that was far below what he had targeted before the test. He is really determined. Just this afternoon, he came armed with an assessment book and asked for advice on the questions to attempt over the weekend.

- - - - -


3.

X
commented in her writing, “It’s not as if I don’t give a damn to the exam. I studied for it. So? Still get 4 Us. WTH!”


X
scored well below 40%. She missed the PAE and she really has loads to catch up. As long as she doesn’t give up, there’s hope.

- - - - -


4.

G
requested, “Mr Nanzi can I see you later?”


G
did come to see me later.

G
: This is not about math questions.
Me
: Sure. I will still try to assist you.

G
: Mr Nanzi, you see. It’s not that I never studied. I did the tutorials. I tried many exercises. I understand the materials. I am more serious this year. But why?.. Why only improved by only 3 marks.

By the way
G is currently repeating his first year and still scored much less than 40%.

G
continued : I tried RJ’s paper. I tried NJ’s paper. I tried .. I could get the answers. But why I can’t seem to do our own paper?

How do you expect me to reply
G?

Mm
..
I gathered some courage and I tried somehow. We tried to work out something in the end. I only hope I am reassuring enough and he continues to work hard (in the right directions).

- - - - -


5.

S
said, “Mr Nanzi, not to worry. I already have plan.

Me
: What plan?

S
: Next year if I were to repeat, I know exactly what subjects to take.
Me
: You actually spent time thinking about such contingency plan?


S
scored less than 20%. She is taking it that bravely.

- - - - -


6. 7. 8. …

There are many more different responses of course. But, I shall stop here.


In general, I can sense that they finally sense that Advanced Level can be so different from Ordinary Level. They are in the process of coping. They know time is tight and time doesn’t wait. They are eager. Nervous, perhaps? And they reacted quite differently.


How can I (we) assist them? Mm..



Started with a student's bad hand-writing.
Ended with a teacher's mistake.

Even if it all begins with our student's lack of motivation...
I think I should play a part in motivating them.

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

批评别人容易,改正自己困难;

宽恕自己容易,原谅别人困难。


心满则容不下别人的劝告,故闻过则怒;

自传则听不入别人的规箴,必闻谏而仇。


病莫大于不知己失,罪莫大于言人是非。


有过不知,愚人也。

悔而不改,废人也。

知而不悔,庸人也。

过而掩讳,小人也。

No comments: