Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Commencement Address I like..

Anna Quindlen (a Pulitzer Prize winning author) gave a commencement address @ Villanova University (on Friday 23 June 2000).

It's a great honor for me to be the third member of my family to receive an honorary doctorate from this great university. It's an honor to follow my great-uncle Jim, who was a gifted physician, and my Uncle Jack, who is a remarkable businessman. Both of them could have told you something important about their professions, about medicine or commerce. I have no specialized field of interest or expertise, which puts me at a disadvantage, talking to you today. I'm a novelist. My work is human nature. Real life is all I know.

Don't ever confuse the two, your life and your work. The second is only part of the first. Don't ever forget what a friend once wrote Senator Paul Tsongas when the senator decided not to run for reelection because he'd been diagnosed with cancer: "No man ever said on his deathbed I wish I had spent more time in the office."

Don't ever forget the words my father sent me on a postcard last year: "If you win the rat race, you're still a rat." Or what John Lennon wrote before he was gunned down in the driveway of the Dakota: "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

Read more here.

- - - - - -

I like many of the points made by her, and the way the points were being put across.
I particularly like her resume shared within the speech.

Of course, we may say most of the points made by her may be already “known” to all of us. But... 



A question to ourselves will be :

Do we act on what we know?

Mm..

So go. Go get a life, a real life …

- - - - - - - -



故事说到 ...
《一滴不算少、万斗不算多》

从前有个大商人名叫波利,有次和五位商人一同乘船到海上寻宝。

船平稳的行驶,突然间波浪涌起,钻出一位海神,手捧着些微淡水问波利说:「你看,是我管辖的海水多呢?还是我手里捧的淡水多呢?」

波利答到:「我以为海神您手捧的淡水多。因为对一个又饥又渴的人来说,海水虽然很多,但不能直接饮用,等于没有;而淡水虽然只有一捧,却能救人性命免于危难。」

----

有一位圣者这么说:

一粒种子,能传播不少的生命。
一句良言,能赐益无数的人群。
一颗爱心,能感化无尽的众生。

No comments: