Friday, October 05, 2007

Of Punctuality..

Imagine a system in place in college whereby there is a bell (let’s call it E-bell) 5 minutes before the start of every period. This E-bell is therefore also a signal that any on-going lesson should stop to allow students to take a stretch-break or toilet-break before transiting to the next lesson venue punctually.

There are just too many instances whereby many teaching staff disregard this E-bell and drag on the lesson for a few more minutes and still magically expects students to be punctual for the next lesson. Heh..

There is one fellow colleague who happens to have such habit or practice (of dragging on, disregarding the time). By some strokes of luck, every Friday, one of the classes his was tutoring should come for my lesson immediately after his. It is only natural that most of the time, this class will be late.

I was told, he was insistent in completing a point or two even after the students reminded him that the time is up and they just have to move to the next lesson venue, else they will be late.

This happened too frequently. I reminded him a few times, in the nicest of tone. Heh.. Apparently, he didn’t get it well.

I thought of a way to get the point across to him.

I wrote him a dramatic email, expressing my frustration and questioning his practice. I think the email must have stunned him quite a bit. :P

He jumped to his defense and replied.

Some extracts :


… If I were to offer any reasons (or excuses since any explanation still points to my fault of letting them off late), it would be that the class has half-hour less tutorial time compared to my other H2 class and often I have to rush through my entire tutorial with them. The class is also generally weaker and needs more clarification time during tutorial.

… To me, the E-bell is a "reminder" bell that the lesson is ending and the teacher should round up his lessons and dismiss his/her students for the next class. The teacher cannot just truncate his/her lesson immediately, especially when he is explaining a concept, going through a question, etc. Definitely the summary and round up will take a minute or two.


- - - -

Ha..
He seems to be right. Mm.. But that is only if we choose to look at things in a more self-centred way. Somehow I feel that he still missed the point. I wrote him a reply, but this time I make it less dramatic, but more to the point.


Some extracts :

I see the E-bell as a "reminder" too. But a reminder of a different kind. It's a reminder we should stop. You mentioned "the teacher cannot just truncate his/her lesson immediately, especially when he is explaining a concept, going through a question.."
Mm...
I am not disagreeing with that. But I cannot totally agree with that too.

We ought to be "aware" of the time. We are in control, we should be "always" in control, ideally saying so
. As such I don't start a "fresh point" near the finishing time, unless I am confident in completing it. However, things may not (in reality) be at our control at times, I understand. As in students might wish to clarify and things get dragged on. I just got to take note of where exactly I had stopped and to take off from there at the next lesson.

While I am also rather concern of the abruptness of my stoppage, I am also just as concern that I am taking up the time of other subjects
(remembering full well that they too have 1/2 truncated for every week). I can "see" the other teacher eagerly waiting for them at the other classroom. I just don't have the heart to "drag" on.

I hope the students can make use of the 5 minutes to freshen up and be very ready for the next lesson too
. I literally chased them out of the class. As I "demand" punctuality for my lesson (simply because I believe in it), I have zero basis to "drag" on. I must stop on time.

In a way, I think you do believe in punctuality also, don't you? :o)

You see. Whenever SPAs draw near and the Science Head(s) sent out email(s) reminding everyone to release students on time, I see that all of you believe strongly in punctuality too. However, I see such email(s) as "silly" and "redundant".
It should be a cultured habit for every single lesson, regardless. How ironical when many science teachers literally drag on lessons and yet can make such request? But again, such request seems "necessary" as we seem to know not many teachers are sensitive to the E-bell. Heh..

I try to remind myself this way.

I don't just think about "I need to finish a point". I also think of "the other teacher is waiting (just as eagerly)"
.
It takes effort and time to practice this well.
It certainly feels weird to finish a point abruptly. But over the years, I become more sensitive about when I should start to explain a new concept. I became more sensitive of the time left, before I make a point. I know my actions, my decisions can also affect other teachers' plan as well
. Do you remember how our new VP speaks? He speaks with his watch right in front of him. Yes, he is a VP. He also make it a point to take note of time (up to the minute) while making his delivery. When the time factor is a constraint, he even has to change his style of delivery, or the actual content he wishes to share as planned. I think he demonstrates a very good habit, somehow.

- - - - -

I think I must be too free liao. Haha..

My intention was not to attack him lah. I was only trying to bring a point to him more clearly since I reminded him so many times verbally already. The written form seems more effective lor. Today, that class actually turned up (in full strength) at the lesson venue earlier than me.

Kaoz.. Now I actually feel a little bad and I only hope I didn't scare him or hurt him or anything.

Silly me is still exploring better ways of getting things done more amiably yet effectively. Mm.. Anyone care to teach me?


- - - - - - - - - -



谁是食物配给的主人

齐国有一位姓田的大贵族,在宫阶前举行大拜拜,席开百桌以上,参加筵宴的食客有千人左右,客人当中有献上鱼和鹅作为礼物。

田氏很欣喜的接受,并略带感慨的说:
「上天真是厚待我们呀!不只是生长五谷令人食用,
你看,这些鱼鹅,不是都为我们的口腹之欲而生吗?」

所有食客都响起了附和的掌声。

席中有位鲍家的孩子,年纪才十二岁,随即站起来反驳说:
「我不同意这种论调。
人类和天地万物共同生存在这大地上,本身并没有贵贱之别。
由于身体的大小、智力高低而造成弱肉强食的情况,
这并非上天注定谁必须为谁所食。
人类当然自己选择食物,不能说是上天特为人类创造的。
正如蚊子吸人的血,虎狼啃人的肉,
这难道也是上天安排人类来当作它们的食物吗?」

No comments: