Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Dull Sound : < Tart >

A shroud of sadness enveloped me when I heard the dull sound “tart”.
I sensed a life was about to be taken away.
Indeed I saw the struggle before the last breadth was drawn. Haiz..

I was driving pretty slowly (at most only 60 km/h) along a road in a neighbourhood. I noticed a bird was pecking away (on some seeds) in the middle of the road. That was a normal sight, I believe you would agree. In normal context, the bird would mind its would business (pecking on some seeds) while we would mind our own business (driving). Besides, the bird should be street-smart enough to fly away timely when a car approaches it, unless…

Haiz..

For my case, today. A bird (myna) was also pecking on some seeds in the middle of a two lane road.
When I drove nearer… when I was less than 5 metres away from it..
That bird would be so safe if it were to just stay there and continue to peck. I think even you will be quite safe it you were to stand in the middle of a two-lane road when I only travel on the left most lane.

Instead, it decided to attempt to fly.
And you guess what? It flew not away from my car, but it chose to fly in such a way cutting across my route of advancement. It flew steadily, gracefully and slowly some more. That was suicidal lor!

I panicked but I can’t possibly stop in time.

I heard a dull “tart” sound. A shroud of sadness enveloped me immediately.
I sensed a life was about to be taken away. From the rear-mirror I saw the black myna flapping its winds and struggling. I drove on for a while, feeling I had just executed a hit-and-run.

My mind was in a swirl, but I finally decided to drive back to take a look. I didn’t know what I was expecting to see. I was sure I hoped not to see the bird. I mean I hope its injury was only minor and it actually flew away to recuperate.

But I was greeted by a lifeless bird as I drove past that very spot in the opposite direction. I froze a little. I stopped at a nearby carpark, pondering what should be my next course of action. I didn’t/don’t feel good.

I stepped out of my car.
Walked to the lifeless bird.
With my shivering hands, armed with plastic bags, I actually picked it up.
There were blood and exposed organs, but no warmth. I was… erm
Yes, I admit I was scared. But I can’t bear to let it rest there. I know, you know, if I were to delay more, it would be flattened by some cars sooner or later.

I carried it back to my car.
I drove on with the body of the bird in my car, near me.
I drove on not knowing exactly where to go.
But what I had in mind was to find a place to bury the bird.
I could have just thrown it in the nearby bin.
But.. mm.. Although that bird was suicidal by action, it made me feel like a killer.

I was only thinking, the least I could do was to show a bit more respect to its body.




It was finally buried.

I am feeling emotionally exhausted.
Feeling headache, thinking about it. Haiz..

2 comments:

Jun Jie said...

Things like this happens lor.

I still remembered when i was younger, i was really counscious about not stepping on ants. Ants are living things too, but now... aiyo i duno step on how many ants/millipede/etc creepy crawlers le.

Maybe the mental case myna is resting in some Bird Hospital in its afterlife heh.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jun Jie,
Hope you are coping well now.
12 months to ORD - that's a pretty short time, no worries. :P

"Mental Case" myna? Nay... Think it "trusted" man a little too much.