Thursday, August 09, 2007

Being Patriotic??

While seeing some National-Day-Related-Materials/Messages, I asked myself “Am I patriotic?”

I am singing the National Anthem and reciting the Pledge almost everyday, what do you think? Erps.. Singing the National Anthem and reciting the Pledge? So are thousands and thousands of people in the country. Weak point made.



NATIONAL EDUCATION MESSAGES

I think I believe in all the NE Messages. I am rooted here because my family and friends are here. This is the country where I grew up from. This is the country where I am safely guided to see the world. The feeling of connectedness/attachment is unquestionable. I hope these will not be taken away from me. And therefore, we must _____________ .

But, IF our family and friends have been uprooted, and social unrest and instability were to set in, will the connectedness/attachment still be the same? I begin to doubt myself, frankly. Sorry if such conclusion disappointed some of you.

- - - - - -

Today, I am not going to go at length to elaborate how patriotic I am. Instead, I would like to throw in a few related questions for thoughts.

Country boundaries are artificial. We know how some had changed over the years, no matter how hard some people had tried to protect them.
And within each individual country, they talked about living, harmony, defending, ..
Yet between countries, they talked about collaborating (for self-interests), conquering (for whatever), ..

Mm..


Does anyone actually view the earth as a connected whole?
I mean to view the earth as one-country?


The messages will be like :

Earth is our homeland: this is where we belong.
We must preserve racial, religious harmony and world peace.
No one owes Earth a living.
We must ourselves protect Earth.



- - - - - -

Am I being that impractical? Haha..
Maybe it will become a reality one day.
Things happen in stages …

格物、致知、诚意、正心、修身、齐家、治国、平天下

It all begins from self


- - - - -

Happy Birthday, Singapore!!!

One day maybe, we might have a chance to say
Happy Birthday, Mother Earth

No comments: