Friday, August 03, 2007

He Asked, “What have I got?”

Let me complete what I wish to write last night, but actually fell asleep in the midst of writing this entry.

- - - -

与他的年龄相差不多少
也与他从事同样的事业

谈着谈着…

他说…

During one of my secondary-school-friends-gatherings some years ago, I came to realize many of my friends are driving big cars and living in big houses. I asked myself ‘what have I got?’

I have nothing. I mean I have nothing tangible.


I felt not good. I still feel not too good.


Do you know Mr X. That big-shot of company Y? That guy was my secondary school classmate. I used to do much better than him in all subjects during all examinations. Now he is a millionaire. And what I am now? Haiz..

Yes, I do like my job, and feel good when my effort is appreciated by the students. But I need something tangible.

So I worked very hard. I wished to be recognized and to be promoted fast. I tried to buy more houses.

I’m still trying to have more tangible rewards.

- - - - - - - -

I am so certain many people (including me) possess much lesser (in tangible terms) when compare to him. Mm

I feel that it is certainly alright to have goals and work towards them. But the way I see it, he is not having a very happy journey while pursuing his goals. Maybe some re-alignment / fine-tuning may actually do him good.

Of course, if he has what he wants and is happy about it, I am also glad for him.

Some thoughts rushed to my mind during our converation..

(1) We can easily attach a price-tag to anything tangible. In other words, intangible rewards are priceless. I shared this thought with him, but I am not too sure he gets it.
有人说「凡有形有相,皆是虚幻」。你认为呢?

(2) We came to this world with nothing tangible. We will also leave this world in the same way (i.e. with nothing tangible).
来也空空,去也空空。所遗留下来的是什么?

(3) Happiness is hardly measured by how much we possess. Maybe it is measured by how well we give and share?
纵然,每个人的生命价值观都不一样,我们还是可以问问自己「我快乐吗?」

(4) When one craves for the worldly possessions so much, and got them finally, wouldn’t it be a fact that they will feel more attach to this world. It will be more of a mental struggle when it is time for them to go.
「执着」容易让人放不下。很多时候,说放不下也得放下。

(5) On the other hand, what if one craves for the worldly possessions so much, and never seems to get a hand on them? I don’t think it feels good.
相信用「苦」字来形容这样的心情不会过分吧。

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -





No comments: