Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Thank-You A Little Too Much?

One pal was telling me the other day …

"Did you see the long thank-you email sent by H?"

"Erm.. I have not read it yet.", I said.


"If I were to be asked to be in-charge of anything, I don't think I feel like doing that leh.", He continued.

Somehow, I agree.
Not that I agree of not thanking the people helping me, but agreeing to not doing it so loudly. Haha..
Thanking people so loudly is as if ___________ .


- - - - -

Once, after a major (so-called major or significant) event, I think we are quite accustomed to people (usually the people in-charge) going up on stage (or thru' the PA system) to deliver an official thank-you speech, deliberating the effort of each person or each team.

The event need not be too eventfully. As long as everything went through with no major hiccup or more or less as planned or with no complaints, it will be deemed as a success.


Alright, back to talk about such thank-you speech.

It is not that I don't like it. It is also not like I doubted the sincerity of the one delivering the speech. But I always thought that kind of public thank-you speech may not be important, since we are in an organization and we are all only working under top-down instructions most of the time. Heh..

Don't feel like doing, don't like to do, also die-die must do what??!!

Under such context, the thank-you element may appear a little strange. I mean we are merely following instructions, we also don't dare to disobey. Haha.. As if thanking us for being obedient, so that the in-charge will not get into any trouble? :P

I am slightly more for going to the people (personally) and thanking them individually, if I wish to really thank them for anything. Nevertheless (just to add a fairer tone), thanking someone/anyone publicly may be a good platform to demonstrate/teach (the students) the value of showing gratitude to all the kind things happening around us. This is an educational institute after all. Mm

Sometimes, it is interesting to observe the following after the delivery of such speech.

A (Pondering with a heavy expression) : Wa lao. Never mention my name or effort.

B (A little of righteousness getting into him) : Hey, how can?! He forget to mention C.


A's superior and/or C's friend (B) noted and approach the IC delivering the speech : Hey, you forgot to mention A's and C's name leh.

"Yah hor..Sorry!"

Then a new note to thank A and C may be re-drafted and re-delivered.

- - - - - -

Wa.. While I feel that such speech was usually quite dull, unless more creatively done, there are people actually listening to it so attentively, and subsequently even subtly suggesting fine-tuning it.

Sometimes, we were told to print out such thank-you notes (from emails, especially those specially address to us) to keep it as evidences and may even become part of our portfolio.


Frankly, I feel like laughing.


~ ~ ~ Their way of saying "Thank You" perhaps ~ ~ ~

The thank-you culture is here to stay. Not too bad actually, but when we are going through such formalities (be it being forced to by circumstances or simply it is also part of our style to do so), let’s don’t forget to also do it from the bottom of our hearts. :o)

- - - - - - - - - - -

近来少些提笔
写来不顺难免
读者可得海涵
亦可多方提点

连日来好像淡淡的过
可是其中感觉有暖流
看了想看又听了想听
见了想见也说了想说
昨日还有一伙儿友人一起在夕阳西下中度过
又在餐桌上闲话家常渐渐步入暮色伴着夜空

感觉嘛…
一切尽在不言中
:o)

此乃最懒惰的结尾 :P

No comments: