Sunday, July 16, 2006

Z2 and Ji Family Support ++

The college arranges Parent –Teacher–Dialogue (PTD) quite frequently. Two to three times yearly, if I’m not wrong. I (try to) understand the management’s point of view for the need of PTD and can feel how appreciative some parents are for such an arrangement. But frankly, speaking to parents is never my strength and many times I am at a loss of words of what to say to the parents.

Hence, I hardly initiate any “invitation” to meet a parent. I mean, I seldom say, “X, I want to see your parent.” Nevertheless, I will leave the decision to the parents and would gladly meet them if they so wish to see me. I prefer talking directly to the *little pals. I don’t want to appear intimidating or threatening as they are *little pals. Mm.. Unless, they don’t like my voice and they simply ignore what I say lor. Only then, I may (try to) talk to their parents instead. But it’s not meant to be a complaint or what (although many parents – and some colleagues – took it that way). I am only thinking how things can be done better.

Okay, putting those ideas of “why we need PTDs” and “why I am so lousy at it” aside, I have noted the constant appearance of some parents during these PTD sessions. They were the ones initiating the meet-ups. They are parents of Z2
and Ji. Ha.. Yes, I met them again yesterday.

With the mother and elder brother of
Z2 :

This time round,
Z2’s elder brother also appeared together with the mother. And I have met this brother the second time already and the mother as least thrice. I met his father before too.

Their family history has a score of successes and naturally they believe in
Z2. But Z2’s results never really show. Z2 also has high self-esteem. When asked what’s his target for A Level, the answer is an affirmative A, although his grades is either an A attached with an O (AO grade lah), or just an E grade.

Anyway, I like
Z2’s high self-esteem. At least we can use that as an advantage and work from there. I mean he must work.

Although, I really want to push him harder in my subject area, but… it is even more worrying when looking at their grades for Chemistry and Physics. In other words, Mathematics is currently his strongest subject. Mm.. How is he going to compete with many others out there, giving the constraint of time now? Still, he seems willing to try.

While we were talking, his brother was taking down notes. Apparently, he needs to report to their dad. The mother is ever so attentive. I tried using Chinese so that she can understand better also. I can see that they are really very serious in wanting to assist
Z2 and see how best they could help.

This brother and mother did let me understand better how
Z2 is at home. We were talking freely even in the presence of Z2. I don’t think Z2 felt uncomfortable in anyway. Haha.. Mainly because Z2 and I already communicate quite a bit in college and the input from his brother and mother wasn’t something really new to me. :P

Anyway, I am really happy for
Z2 for such a strong family support. I learnt that the parents engaged private tutors to guide them in Physics and Chemistry (but not Math). Wa.. Like that ah. Mm.. Ha.. I cannot “slack” liao lor.. Haha..


From the mother of
Ji :

Ji is ever so quiet. He is a super guai guai boy. He is like that too, at home. He is the second child and he has two younger siblings. Because of his guai-ness, his mother had spared the rod altogether (for "fairness"), and his two younger siblings were saved. In other words, only Ji’s elder brother was “wagged” by cane before.

Ji does his work diligently, but his result for Mathematics is still quite worrying. Nevertheless, he has made progress significantly lately. At least he is now scoring around the cohort’s average score.

He certainly has doubts in his learning but will be tongue-tight when he is approached, allowing him to clarify. He would often say “I understand”, “no problem” , “no question” or something alike, but he will still (quite) struggle at the next new question given. If we were to just look at his results alone, we may be suspecting that he is not working very hard. But everyone can see his is preparing, working and trying. I can’t bear to scold him too. You know.. Math is already his strongest subject. I am really worried for his Chemistry and Biology.

He has a private tutor for Chemistry, but even at that “private” level, he is still so quiet (according to his mother).

He mother is now a little worried how this dear son of hers can fit into society in the near future. Heh..
Ji has many other strengths also too, certainly.

Anyway, I am just very amazed by the caring nature of
Ji’s mother. I can see that she plays a vital role in the moral support for Ji. Ji and his mother communicate pretty well and I see that their relationship is rather close. How nice.

- - - - - - - -

I didn’t get a chance to meet the parents of many other *little pals. Of course, I so believe they care for their sons and daughters alike. It is only natural that the ways of showing that care and concern may differ.



~ ~ ~ ~
外面或许冰冷非常
里面依然暖洋洋的

Many people are saying we can only understand such care and concern when we become parents ourselves. But do we really want to wait until that time comes, then we appreciate our parents the way we want our child to appreciate us? Don’t be silly. You know what I mean.

Besides, many youngsters nowadays are
screaming that their parents don’t understand them. I question how much they understand their parents. I always feel that if we are mature enough, we don’t demand people to understand us. We ask ourselves, how much we make ourselves to be understood? How much we try to understand other people?

Aiyo.. Talked too much liao. During Sundays, I tends to be more “talkative” perhaps. Heh..

All the best to all *little pals out there preparing for their examinations or entering (or had just entered) a new phase in their life.

No comments: