Monday, October 23, 2006

Fasting

Strange. I have only decided to talk a little about it (fasting) when it has all “ended”.

We learn that during the fast of Ramadan, Muslims have a tradition of fasting until sundown. This is supposed to be period of spiritual cleansing. Besides, fasting serves many purposes. While they are hungry and thirsty, Muslims are reminded of the suffering of the poor. Fasting is also an opportunity to practice self-control and to cleanse the body and mind. And in this most sacred month, fasting helps Muslims feel the peace that comes from spiritual devotion as well as kinship with fellow believers.

Actually I find the practice of fasting beautiful and admirable (when it is practiced the way it should be… ). I don’t think the continual conflicts still arising in the Middle East can discount my belief of this good practice. Although I don’t really practice formal fasting, I don’t mind going without meals occasionally.

I also learnt that “fasting” is not solely an issue of the Muslims. There were several mentions in the Bible. Among many verses in Bible mentioning fasting, I like the following two best. They are namely, Matthew 6:16-18 (Fasting) and Luke 18:9-14 (The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector).

These two verses demonstrated very well that fasting is to be done in a manner of humility and "secrecy".

Matthew 6:16-18

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. It tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Luke 18:9-14
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable :
“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself : ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men – robbers, evidoers, adulterers – or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘ God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

- - -

Cool!
But do not take verses of Bible just at the surface meaning. There are usually other different / deeper shades of meaning. The more “connected” you are with God, the better you see and understand, perhaps. Haha..

Most importantly, we must all continue to be good and wholesome throughout our life-span. One month per year is only 1 out of 12 months, is only such a small fraction.

- - - - - - - - - - -



教授在教室黑板上写着~
「I will meet the class at 5:00.」
(我会在五点來上课)

几个刚到教室的学生看到留言,就开玩笑地把 class 的「c」擦掉,变成~
「I will meet the lass at 5:00.」
(我会在五点会见情妇)

当教授回来看到黑板上的留言被修改后,他拿起板擦,又把 lass 的「l」擦掉,变成~
「I will meet the ass at 5:00.」
(我会在五点会见驴子)

然后对着学生说:「驴子们,上课了!」

No comments: