Saturday, May 06, 2006

Some Impressions

I just learnt (from C) that, some days ago some of my fellow colleagues gathered informally and were talking about some daily practices of some prominent local figures, they read about in the papers. I was somehow dragged into their conversation.

A : Wa, everyday, Mr X wakes up 6 am in the morning, eats his breakfast, reads the papers, goes for a jog, … and then meditates for 20 minutes.
B : Is it? So Nanzi also mediate right?
C (who is supposed to know me better) : Oh, this ah? I am not too sure leh.
B : Mm.. So Nanzi jogs very often right?
C : Oh, this one ah? Erm.. I don’t think so. Haha..

Interesting. I didn’t know that’s how they see me. Flattered somewhat. I did not probe further (from C) why they have that kind of impression of me. Nevertheless, we can only be sure, whatever we do, whatever we say, everyone is watching. Ha, it’s only sensible that we are mindful of our actions or speech then. Don’t get me wrong. I am saying this not because we are being watched. Rather, it’s the only way to be fairer to ourselves as our actions or speech may reap favourable or unfavourable consequences accordingly.

Even when we are alone, I think we ought to be mindful of our thoughts too. Perhaps, during those periods of “perceived loneliness”1
, our thoughts may reveal our true self.

- - - - - - -
1 We will never be really alone. HE is watching, listening, if no one does.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -






Of course, this is not true all the time. But it does bring across the importance of the willingness to make an effort to communicate in order to make any relationship last meaningfully.

No comments: