Sunday, August 27, 2006

Gentle Reminders from Friendster

We got many reminders from friendster nowadays.
We got reminders when

- your friends’ blog (with friendster) is updated
- your friends’ birthday is round the corner
- your friends’ profile is updated
- your friends’ photo set is updated
- your friends leave you a message
- your friends write you a testimonial
etc.

I got a gentle reminder today. An email streamed in reminding me of someone’s birthday being today. Actually I need no reminder, for I remember. But the reminder from friendster is just too graphic, for his picture is there, staring at you, at the same time he is smiling at you broadly.

Wait a minute, I can no longer say "he is smiling".
I can only say "he was smiling".

It leads me to recall an event more than one year ago (29 Jun 05, to be precise). This event was worth various mentions in many papers and speeches. One of them is here.

I did a simple google search using his name as the parameter. I re-read what I had read about what others said about him one year ago, and even now. He is indeed dearly missed.

Even till now, whenever I drive past that stretch of Bendemeer road, I will still irresistibly steal a glance at that block. That block where he was sent off. The feeling is … mm

It may be just a birthday reminder. But certainly it also gently reminds me of many other things. Amongst the list…
- the jovial nature of this kind young man
- the promise that he wanted to jio me to KTV
- death may knock at the door of anyone, anytime
- impermanence nature of life
- only today belongs to us, every tomorrow is a gift, etc.



只能为你献上白菊一躲
永在怀念中


No comments: