Thursday, August 31, 2006

We Can Only Be Humble.

There’s a Chinese saying :
謙恭者可得上之教诲,亦可得下之尊敬。

Somehow this saying appeals to me greatly. In other words, I believe in it strongly. I’m constantly reminding myself to be humble, yet maintaining my self-confidence / self-esteem as much as possible. Sense a contradiction here? Heh.. I think there isn’t.

Humble is not about “acting-blur”. It’s also not about saying “this one I’m not that good”.

Just imagine, whatever we truly know is already so little (comparing with the vast knowledge existing in the universal). Hence “acting-blur” about the little knowledge we know is just so senseless.

Perhaps, this line sums up well :

不要出卖你的所知,因为它已经少得可怜。

Haha..

Humble can still be about admitting confidently what we already know (no matter how trivial it may be). But at the same time, we believe that the people around us can be even better than us.

知之为知之, 不知为不知,是知也。
所以不知并不是可耻的事,不知道而假装知道,才是可笑的事呢!


We share with people also in the belief that they can know our limitations so that they can make suggestions for us to further improve.

Come to think about it …
- Being humble can empower us. Just during the past few days, many of my errors and limitations were brought up to me by many kind souls. And I learn from them.
- We simply have no reason to be cocky. There are simply too many great, capable, better people out there.

所以不要自以为很了不起,那可能会让我们起不了。


Just observe a stalk of growing rice shoot. When it is young, the stalk is usually very sturdy and upright. However, as the stalk grows, the heavier end creates a signifant bent to the entire stalk.
稻秧越成熟就越『弯腰』。
大自然是否也在教导我们『谦虚』之道?

No comments: