Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Wish all Singaporeans a Happy National Day..

(A simple entry, upon a direct request by -Za|- )

I wish all Singaporeans a Happy National Day..
These were the exact last words by PM Lee’s National Day Message.

I’m rather impressed by how many politicians are able to put things neatly and concisely in words. Yes, very impressed. The content aside I am also impressed by the way, some managed to deliver the message in public in such a clear fashion. Believe me, not everyone can do it. The solid enunciation, the rightly timed pauses, the effective change of tone at the right moments, etc. In other words, the same text when presented by two different presenters will have different impact. I would say PM Lee does it pretty artfully.

I feel fortunate to be raised in Singapore. The thoughts that the Middle East is in upheaval, the possible threat of a world-wide bird flu pandemic, the many natural disasters happening nearby.. I’m… haiz… a Chinese phrase just came to my mind :


覆巢无完卵。

Anyway, these are real big worldly issues.

Let’s look at the smaller, closer-at-heart issues.

Is there anything you wanna complain about in Singapore? Wait wait wait, just before you start listing such, why not try listing the reasons why you are so safe and comfortable (not how you “feel” now, but try to be as objective as possible and compare the situation here with anywhere else on the globe) here?

Have you experienced hunger? Ha.. I’m not talking about the hunger for power. I am talking about the literal sense, whereby we want to eat, but have no means to fill your stomach. If you are reading this now, I would think, you never. Perhaps, the only kind of hunger we’d felt is that we were spoilt for choices and decided to “boycott” by skipping a meal or two. Mind you, no harm at all is done to our body, as we have enough “reserve” to sustain our so-called “boycotting”. Haha..

Have you experienced cold? Ha.. I’m not talking about the cold you’d felt because of the strong gust of air-conditioned wind blowing at you. Or the wintry shiok feeling you’d experienced during one of your dream holidays. I am talking about the literal sense, whereby we would like to cloth ourselves better so as not to catch a cold (a sickness), but have no means to do so.

Of course, of course, how can I be so naïve? Life is not all about getting a full tummy and getting enough to cover our bodies. Life is... ahem… the way you wanna define it. Why not try defining it in such a way that we don’t feel so miserable ourselves?

In Singapore where we call home, the basics are satisfied. That is certainly an understatement! Majority of us have acquired far more than the basics. And maybe at this kind of pretty advanced stage of development, we are looking for more, wanting more. If this creates a propelling force for us to go forward, why not? While moving forward, please don’t compromise on our standards of morality.

Yes, there are countries far better endowed, far more charming naturally. I like to visit them. But nothing beats coming home, seeing your families, meeting your friends, feeling for the roots you grow and cultivate…



I really feel fortunate being raised here.
I wish all Singaporeans a Happy National Day!
~ ~ 国泰民安 ~ ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice entry! haha... u did it artfully as well :P cheers... happy holidays