Monday, February 13, 2006

Answers In Our Hearts?

Many were “reflecting” :

“These are the students that give me problems . . . ”, and they went on to elaborate the “who”, the “how” and the “why”… Oh well, I understand how all these can be very much of a “problem”. And I do have my fair share of concerns.

My fellow colleagues certainly have the students’ best interest at heart. I am not questioning that. Mm.. Just that… I am not too sure whether anyone is going to probe further, deeper and in quite a different direction that I am about to take.

(1) Coincidentally, these are also the students that make us think more. You agree?

(2) They challenged our abilities to guide them. We thought we are good, but these students seem to suggest we are not very much “in control”. Are we immediately going to question their attitude and should we also reflect on our ability?

(3) What if they did not do the assignments we gave them, but will do the assignments given by other teachers? Erps..

(4) Okay, what does it shows when they don’t do any work at all. We may say they are disappointing. But they could be feeling how the college has disappointed them, in the first place.

The list may go on…

I am not suggesting who’s more right, who’s more wrong. We should be asking ourselves, where is the most fundamental principle : “Can we talk?”

Communication is such an art, I feel.

When teaching is concerned, maybe one of the many responsibilities is to guide even the reluctant ones back to a sensible path. Hence, instead of viewing it as “these are the students that give me problems…”, maybe we can re-look it as “these are the students that may eventually make me grow.
I generally feel that in the process of “dealing” with them (if we whole-heartedly do so), we are also exploring ourselves at the same time. Ha.. So the “growing” is indeed mutual. :)

Maybe there is no such thing as problematic students, just teachers who are inexperience of how to deal with these students' “non-standard” behaviours.

Hey, I’m just exploring. I don’t know much about such as well.
The answers don’t lie in me.
Maybe the answers are all in our hearts. :)

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

有句话说:『书读百遍,其意自见。』就是说同样一本书,你读了一百遍,你就知道它到底在说什么。一定要用力之久,才会有融会贯通的一天。

能力不是用想象的,是要靠行动证明的。
只有一再去练习、一再去做,才会有完全不受限制的空间。

所以你想要有那一方面的能力,你就要不断地去做,不断的去练习,
而你不想要对那一方面的性质,那你就要不再去做,不再让它来阻碍你。

No comments: