Monday, February 06, 2006

Movies : 霍元甲 ; 小孩不笨2

Many said the movie 霍元甲 is good. I watched it and just have to agree.

One particular element impressed me most. It's not the display of martial art. Not that I don't like the martial art. I think it was rather artfully presented and had cast quite a deep impression in me. In fact, I also find that the martial art was depicted too bloodily and that rightfully earns the rating of NC16. But it narrows the audience group too much, not the way I like it actually. I would prefer more people to see, to witness the spirit of martial art within. Yes, I am most impressed with the way Huo changes his appreciation of the spirit of martial art. In fact I was pretty touched. Touched by the way how he was led to see the light and touched by the way he admitted his wrongful past and willingly made a come back with a righteous cause. Simply beautiful.

And.. wa.. in time of need, we see what true friendship is all about. I was also reminded friends need not be the one who always agree with you. Friends should have the responsibility to remind / correct the wrongs in each other.

- - - - - - - - - -

Those who had watched 小孩不笨2, told me how good the movie is. Again, I can only agree.

I gather the two messages (I think) the movie is trying to bring across :

(i) 互相沟通与关爱的重要性
Mutual communication and showing of care and respect for each other.
The importance of these cannot be undermined.


(ii) 赏识教育的提倡。
“Appreciation model” in education.
We ought to let the other person sense that we appreciate him or her as a person. We see hope in them. If one were to sense that we look down on him or her, all our praises and methods will not be effective at all.

There should be much more points to note, but the pea-brain of mine can only handle a few at a time.

I keep thinking (as I am observing) :

There are many people who claim they like the show and through the show they see the “problems” of society. So, they know the “problems” now. Maybe, I can also say I know the
“problems” now.
Then are we part of the problems or the problems always solely belong to the society?

We say we value the importance of communication. Then how much are we open to communication ourselves?

We admit we know the importance of care and respect for each other. Then did we somewhat make an effort to demonstrate the “ideal” in any sense? Do we still choose to just hide it deep in our hearts? Do we still choose to care and respect for only our own belief and simply ignore the feelings of others?

We realise that Singapore should / must adopt the “appreciation model” in the education system, letting people know they are still wholesome individual that can be made better. But.. mm.. maybe there shouldn't be any "but". Just do it, if you believe in it.

Again, I am only trying to bring forth the idea : (real) changes should always begin in us.

I can't write any proper review, I think. No worries, most likely, you would have read or heard many proper ones already.


- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:
有句话说:『身怀利器,杀心自起』。
这句活就是说 --
人有能力以后,伴随能力而来的便是欲望,一种把能力据为己有的欲望,也因为这个欲望,你会吞噬你自己。

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought teachers are suppose to be the most confident people around haha... dont worry your movie reviews spur me to go watch the movie almost immediately.! Your readings not bad la..!!! ; ) it teaches me alot alot of things, u taught people like me beyond the classroom level.

Teacher, u did the right thing.!

Anonymous said...

Aiyo.. confidence? erm.. lost it some time ago.. haha.. but nvm.
I never really "feel easy" to say I am "teaching" anymore.
The environment is "exposed" equally to us and it's up to us to pick up the "messages".
I would prefer to say, I'm somewhat sharing certain things I may know or realise earlier with someone.
I feel that I'm learning from everyone, in fact.
Wait a minute. What is a "classroom"? I would think the world is a "classroom" by itself. Haha..
Okay, we shall learn from each other. :)
一起加油吧!