Thursday, April 27, 2006

Conquering IT Bit-by-Bit

Today is my first time using Visualizer during lecture. Silly me, I even find the experience exciting enough and wish to talk about it.

I am always a little uncomfortable with IT. I may know a little about it, but I never really understand what’s happening and how it actually works. Besides the must-use softwares like MS Word and MS Excel, I think I know practically nothing about the others. Oh well, I am quite okay at following instructions and somewhat still managed to get by.

The better ones are telling me, we are the so-called end-users and we really need not actually understand what’s happening within. We just need to know how to use some softwares / hardwares effectively. Still, such fear of IT has always been with me. I even coined a word to describe myself : IT-scary. Haha..

It will usually take me substantial effort to try something new (regarding IT). I will usually delay it, until I am really forced to use it.

Just a simple illustration here. It takes me quite a while to switch from pager to handphone. I think I had decided to switch over only when pager’s subscription rate didn’t quite make sense to me when compared to handphone’s. Besides, pagers were fast disappearing from the market and my pager was ageing. Yet it was a few months later after I got my handphone, I got to learn about sending short messages (in late year 2002). Erps.. I think some readers will be laughing so hard (in disbelief). Probably you were sms-ing well before I do.

I recall another event. I remember I felt a little strange carrying my brother’s digital camera. The idea of saving the quality of our captured moments within an almost flimsy storage card seemed “unnatural” to me. But, I was forced to use it, when I needed a camera on my trip to Australia. At that time, only a few days before departure, I realized my family’s film-based camera was lost. The only one left behind was my brother’s digital Canon camera. Heh .. I remember having quite a hard time, going through the manual figuring out the functions of the different buttons. But the experience was worthwhile, I guess. Why? I got a new digital camera myself after that.

When the college announced that the plan to phase-out OHP was on, I was like.. erm.. stunned. During the transition period when we have both the OHP and the Visualizer existing together in the classroom, I practically left the Visualizer alone. Before today, I still insisted on using OHP during lecture (since the OHP is still there, and the Visualizer used in the LTs are of different make compared to those in the classrooms). To me, today’s little experience with the Visualizer was also a little break through somewhat. I think I had gathered enough courage after observing how the others had used it for so many times, and then finally decided to give it a go. Just like the digital camera experience, I think there is no turning back. :P

Oh, how about ICQ and MSN?
I started using ICQ only in year 2003. The first such conversation was with J, after he patiently guided me practically throughout the entire set-up process. I really needed that kind of guidance at that moment. Just imagine, prior to that, I had zero concept of such communicating tools. Mm.. Those were the days. I ...
I think I only started using MSN, early last year. Not too sure about that. Never mind.

I think I still remember the little excitement when I first explored the blogging scene around July last year. The silly little things like posting something (just anything) on the web, creating hyper-links, inserting pictures, text-formatting and replying to comments were enough to thrill me for quite a while. I cannot imagine myself writing / publishing in cyberspace before that. Now this is already the.. erm.. 263rd entry. Aiyah.. Quantity doesn’t equate to quality hor! ;)

I think I have somewhat conquered my “fear” of IT bit-by-bit. Slowly, but surely, I think I will be more and more comfortable with IT. Still, many thanks to everyone who has directly or indirectly assisted me in my many little break-throughs along my IT journey. :)

~ Keep On Going ~
We may be small and tiny in might (now), and find the hurdles in front of us unsurpassble.
We shall grow, and surely surmount many hurdles alike. Just keep on going, but remember to set our directions right.

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

有言曰:『没有天,那有地,没有祖先,那有子孙』。
如不知报本,更比禽兽不如。
受人点水之恩,则当涌泉以报。
时存感恩报本之心,则无嗔恨暴躁,不和之气消。
如何感恩报本,并非言语口头禅,而是要一点至诚之心。

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... your little IT experiences along the way is courageous!

IT is 'run' by electricity... scary right... = X

Anonymous said...

Who says we can't teach an "old dog" new tricks? :P

Anonymous said...

aiya.. y say urself "old dog"? u r nt tt old fashion afterall...

Anonymous said...

Rain :
Actually the open and close inverted commas are there for a "defending" reason.
Hahaha.. That is, inwardly, I don't admit that I am old too. :P
{minus, I can't run as fast as before, I need not sleep as much as before, I eat lesser than before, I move more slowly than before... argg...}

Anonymous said...

LOL.. funni...