Sunday, April 09, 2006

I Was Questioned..

I was again “challenged” why I choose not to eat animal’s meat. Haha.. Ok, “challenge” is just too strong a word. Mm.. “Question” (as a verb), perhaps.

The “question” came, because to him
- Animals don’t have feelings (when I said they are rather pitiful).

The discussion went on for a while. It was all done in a friendly manner, anyway. He allowed me to show him my views and I allowed him to show me his views. He concluded, “
不过牛肉真的很好吃”. I can only smile... mm...

Have you visited a slaughter house?

Have you seen how the meat is “gathered” from the livestock?

Give yourself a slight-cut on the arm. Don’t be silly! Don’t literally do it! Imagine will do. How would that compare to the first deep slit on an animal’s throat?

Do you know that even the seemingly harmless gummy, chewy sweets got their texture from (mostly beef) gelatin?
I am saying this because there are many Chinese out there who claim they don’t take beef. Yet, they don’t really know why they don’t take beef. Many say the practice is related to Guan Yin (Goddess of Mercy). I am glad at least they respect Guan Yin that much. But I’m so certain Guan Yin did not say, go eat all you want, the goat, the chicken, the duck...
Heh...

Do you know... ?

I need not go on, as the convinced are already convinced (not because of this silly article of mine, of course), and there are some who are already saying to themselves :
"So?
" (when they know ...)
"I don’t care!" (when they do...)

My intention is never to “convert”.
But if you wish to talk about it, anytime ... :o)

Our diet – it’s a rather personal decision after all. I’d long learnt to respect individual’s decision. But, it is only fair to yourself that you know what you are eating, how your plateful of food come about.


我也明白那一种“口腹之欲”是不容易克服的。
我选择放弃它。
换来的是心安。


- - - - - - - - -



有一位作者这么说:

同样是小学三年级的学生,在作文中说他们将来的志愿是当小丑。
中国的老师斥之为:
「胸无大志,孺子不可教也!」
外国的老师则会说:
「愿你把欢笑带给全世界!」

身为长辈的我们,不但容易要求多于鼓励,更狭窄的界定了成功的定义。

No comments: