Saturday, April 08, 2006

Trying to Reach a Fine Balance

H almost pleaded, “Sir, can you please don’t call me to answer question during lecture? I will be very stressed lor.”
By the way, this young man is progressing very fine. He has escalates to the grade B range now and I can see that he is striving towards grade A.

N almost protesting (but still smiling), “Sir, why you didn’t ask me to answer question during lecture today? I was so attentive today, you know... ? (
literally dragging the last word)
Anyway, N is W’s student. I was jokingly telling her the other day that I should be calling her to answer question during lecture. She is that serious. I’m glad. I can see that she is working pretty hard too.

K said he doesn’t like to be called, but I observed that when he answered correctly, he has a “glow” on his face.

Just a little funny to observe how different people can react.

Frankly, I remember pretty well that as a student myself (once upon a time), I didn’t quite like to be called upon to answer questions during lesson. In general, I did have views and I did answer mentally to myself for every questions being posted by the tutors/lecturers. But just don’t ask me to answer in the presence of so many people, okay! I just don’t enjoy the lime-light.

People do have opinions, but many choose not to go too public about their views, I think. Of course, I understand there are many people out there who don’t mind (and don’t understand why anyone should mind) airing their views so openly.

Now that I’m in the position of a tutor / lecturer, I don’t know why I exercise what I don’t like myself. Haha.. Strange me. Perhaps, I should not always give the students just what they like, but also to give them what I think is good for them.


~ Fine Balance ~
While I agree that striking a fine balance (between anything) is no easy task, but at least let’s approach it to our best ability.


- - - - - - - - - -



有一位作者这么说:

妻子正在厨房炒菜。丈夫在她旁边一直唠叨不停:
「慢些。小心!火太大了。赶快把鱼翻过来。快铲子起来,油放太多了!把豆腐整平一下。哎唷,锅子子歪了!」

妻子脱口而出:
「请你住口!我懂得怎样炒菜。」

丈夫平静地答道:
「你当然懂,太太。我只是要让你知道,我在开车时,你在旁边喋喋不休,我的感觉如何。 」

学会体谅他人并不困难,只要你愿意认真地站在对方的角度和立场看问题。

No comments: