Sunday, October 09, 2005

Be Grateful . . .

Be grateful. (存着一颗感恩的心)
I believe many would agree with me that "grateful" is a virtue. How do we practice it then?

I like to start with something simple.

(1) I am grateful to my hair. It isn't very dense or dark, yet I'm protected from most elements and it does give me a complete, neat and tidy look. Oh my dear eye brow, I must also say thank you. I cannot imagine going without you.

(2) I am grateful to my eyes. It isn't the bright sparkling kind, yet it allows me to see the world, the fields, the rainbow and the different clouds in the sky. Seeing many people, getting the assurance that we are much alike. Knowing where I'm stepping, setting my directions right.

(3) I am grateful to my ears. Oh they are rather protruding and kind of attention-seeking. I have no complaints for I am able to appreciate music and hear the sound of nature. I can hear you calling, hear your praising and even occasional sweet-nothing I don't mind.

(4) I am grateful to my mouth, tongue and vocal cord. They cooperate well to produce sound. I can even sing. What a delight? Besides, the occasional chit-chat with friends becomes very much a highlight. Tasting food, tasting drinks.. oh an experience made divine.

(5) I am grateful to my nose. It may be just the typical asian round, unlike the causacian
pointed, yet it makes me proud. I can tell stale from fresh as the smell gives it away. I can appreciate your cooking even when I'm a few rooms away.

(6) I am grateful to my hands. For this, I am able to type, picking up something I like and holding on to something or someone dear my side. Being able to place it around shoulders of close pals and let the feelings of friendship warmly deep inside.

(7) I am grateful to my legs. They aren't the strongest, yet they supported me through years and years and bring me to places I very much like. The pace I'm in control, the progress I decide.

(8) I am grateful to my heart. It is superbly hard working so my entire bodily functions can rely.

(9) I am grateful to my skin. The colour of which gives me a sense of identity. The pores on it must also be functioning and breathing well to maintain a
reasonably smooth healthy kind.

(10) I am grateful to my __________ .

Of course, the list goes on.
Don't get the wrong idea that I am
trying to tell the world how much I love myself. Yes I do, but that's not the point here. I delibrately mention only the simplest items (physically) closest to us and yet how much have we already taken for granted?

I think we should always start with something simple to build a strong enough foundation.
We must always keep in mind, what makes us standing strong here, today.

At a slightly higher level, we will then learn not only must we be grateful to things around us, loved ones around us, but also all situations (be it pleasant or unpleasant) happening around us. I may talk about it some other times, if I remember.

Be Grateful...
Don’t take things or someone for granted . . .

一切并非理所当然
让我们并持着一颗感恩的心来面对周遭的一切人、事、物。

No comments: