Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Lesson Learnt from a Kid..

That day...
I was supposed to give a lift to my mum to work.

She was waiting at the ground level while I drove down my car from the multi-storey car-park. The wait can't be more than 3 minutes. While I was driving towards her, I noticed she was just beside a child neatly attired in school uniform, apparently waiting for his parent to fetch him to school. The kid should be at P3 level or lower. My mum and the kid weren't conversing at all, just standing beside each other. I stopped my car beside my mother. She opened the door and while she was entering the car, I heard something quite clearly from that kid. He said, "Bye Bye!" Of course, my mum replied the same.

I thought they knew each other. But no. That was the first time they had met each other and yet the boy was "courteous" enough to "greet" her or "acknowledge" her. Maybe, "courteous", "greet" or "acknowledge" are not the correct terms, but that's beside the point.

I am just thinking, we are usually (if not always) so COLD towards strangers but at the same time lamenting how COLD the world is. Heh.. Remember? When we are commuting to-and-fro from work / study, we are mostly expressionless.

I remember when I was in S.A. about 8 years ago, I was greeted by (almost) anyone I'd met on the street. Yes, anyone that had made eye-contact of some sorts. It may be just a "hello", "good day", and so on, but I could see from their facial expressions that they were genuine about it. I got quite accustom to the practice and I did alike. In that instance, I know the environment can change me. I thought that was lovely.

Just another instance. I was in the middle of a walkway in Australia, looking a little lost (trying to get my orientation right) while I was trying to study a map. In just a while, someone approached me to offer his assistance to show me the directions. I was pretty impressed.

Looking back, it was those individuals that made me felt welcomed in their country. Again, it was those individuals that showed me how simple it is to make another person feels "warmer".
Mm... Thinking...
Therefore, we are also individuals that can play the role of those individuals.

When we say people are unfriendly. Ask ourselves.. How friendly are we?
When we say people are selfish. Ask ourselves.. How selfless are we? And so on..
Believe me, it is most impractical to wait till Singapore becomes the most desirable, before we decide to behave in a desirable way.

My point is.. I think it's more fruitful to start the change in us first.



Our first step in learning may meet with some difficulties.
No worries... Our Guardian Angels are watching over us.


咳.. 是失眠夜.. 在思量着.. 为何变成如此.. 没有什么解释.. 竟然如此失败.. 时间不多了.. 该.. 准备上班了..

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:
不要停留过去、不要妄想未来,好好的活在现在,去开发、去灌溉。

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...how come sleepless nite? 430 in the morning is a bit... erm... coughing is it? hmm.. muz take care lo.

u noe, 防人之心不可无。so most likely pple will not let other into their world easily. cos when it hurts them, it will b too late. cos humans r always make up of angel n devils. sooo different pple have different devils in them. n cos they do have their devil part, so everyone is "potentially evil". who would want to juz greet "helo" to someone u dun even noe? say if u were to greet, then tt person might qns.."muz be ware of tis person, 居心不良。" rite? i tink there muz b many instance many many aged back, where pple r hurt, juz by greeting or watever, tt make pple "learnt" they shdnt do it tis way.

different pple have different culture. different individuals have their own 经历 too. sooo how friendly we can b.. really depends on our past encounter. yes, we cant go ard thinking all humans r bad. but then, we do nd to be cautious abt others.

Anonymous said...

害人之心不可有,
防人之心不可无,自古书上教。不过,这只是一角。:)
- - -
曾听有人如此感叹:
波波浊海沉沦久,涂抹太多的颜色,平静的心湖起纹皱,
碌碌生活习惯过,管它日出有日落,结局拥抱是寂寞,
热热温情冷却后,提防取代了问候,人生两个字好辛苦,
不论付出或收获,何必计较谁成就,黄泉路途难躲脱,
...

哈哈。。
所以我想,若我们可以常脸带三分微笑,
或许能给沮丧的人看了有所感染,而心情也可以漂亮起来也说不定。
微不足道的我,只是想尽那么一点绵力为世间增添一点光。:)

Anonymous said...

老师很伟大leh.我从没想过要如此。不对,应该说小时候,我曾经那么做,同谁都微笑,可是又一次,因为和一个陌生人微笑,对方莫名其妙,妈妈更不明白,然后,就告诉我,不要随便和别人笑,所以,我想,这就是造成许多人,不敢在和陌生人微笑的原因吧?已经没那个习惯了。哈哈。老师突然唤起我的回忆。


的确,或许一个微笑,哪怕是来只一个陌生人,或许也可以让沮丧的人,心情更加漂亮。老师加油。哈哈。我也加油。

Anonymous said...

哎哟。那来伟大??
头大了、头大了。:p
我在想,我们如此的互相加油,迟早我们都会变成“易燃体”。哈哈。。。

Anonymous said...

或许不能说老师伟大吧?应该说老师没私心。哈哈。。

老师,为什么我们会变成“易燃体”?

互相鼓励不好吗?起码,走起路来会比较愉快吧? 哈哈。。

:)

Anonymous said...

Oh.. certainly, certainly it is great to 互相鼓励. :)
Thank you! Haha..

I am just being a little playful here. As in...
"油" is highly inflammable.
So by "加油", we have more "油" and therefore we are also highly inflammable. Lame right?? Haha..
- - -
Anyway, even if we are inflammable..
我们不妨就用这充满热心的火焰来照亮他人。
~ 嘻嘻 ~

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. wow.. teacher, u r a bit.. erm.. wrong.. nt a bit.. u r VERY VERY lame~~ but then.. u noe,oil nd spark to make it flammable de ma.. soo..unless there is spark...else it cant even catch fire. :P

haha.. to 充满热心的火焰来照亮他人,nd a lot of patient... a lot of 宽宏大量,which i m lacking. haha.. but will try.. yeah... haha...

^^