Wednesday, January 25, 2006

S Has an (Unmatched) Postive Outlook in Life..

I am quite new to him. He (S) is quite new to me as well. This morning we met for the second (or maybe third) time, although this is the 4th week of the new term. He is under-going chemotherapy for cancer related illness. This process sucks away most of his energy and he could hardly concentrate. (A reference of the other possible side effects, here). Therefore, he was away from school for quite a while.

For his condition, if he were to request for a year of school leave to concentrate on his recovery, it would be easily granted. The college will unconditionally accept him to join us next year, when he recovers. We (the college, his family members, friends, etc. ) thought this might be a better option for him too. But he insists on fighting on. He wants to study.

For a young gentleman in his condition, we might think he may look gloomy and saddened by how fate has played a trick on him, or indulge in self-pity. Nope! He is brave enough to face the reality and he makes no attempt to hide his falling hair. He carries himself very well. He appears tired (of course!), but he still smiles appropriately.

We arranged to meet this morning to catch up on the materials during the weeks of his absence. I was in for something amazing. This young man was studying when he was confined either in the hospital or at home. Knowing the kind of treatment he is going through, he must be trying really hard. He actually covered one of the difficult topics all by himself and he is managing pretty well, I must say. The kind of questions he clarified was reasonable. What more? He asked in the most polite manner. And when I pointed out his occasional slips here and there, he only commented to himself "I need more practice" (and smiling at the same time). I am utterly impressed with him.

I believe when he gets back his health, he is going to soar up and high.
His (unmatched) positive outlook in life I will bear in mind.
I thought of giving him a friendly pat, to show how proud of him, am I.
Oh, wait a minute! His immunity is low, and a respectful distance must be kept, I must also remember. I am willing to play an encouraging role, to support him in the best way I know. I just left my (personal) number behind.



~ ~ Healthy Fruits ~ ~
This plateful of healthy-looking fruits only reminds me that health is a priceless. I like this picture for mainly two reasons: (1) I like fruits. Fruits are generally healthy. Healthy body begins with healthy eating. (2) The "half-plate" perspective serves to remind us (at least me) not to over-eat.

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:
如何降伏不定的心?
以惭愧的心来鞭策自己。
以淡泊的心来制止贪而无厌的欲望。
以真实的道学来勉励自己。
以严格的戒律来规范自己。
以勇猛精进的心来成就自己。

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

其实,我没有什么要分享的。

只是很想告诉这积极乐观的小伙子:
虽然我不认识你,
但我打从心底地欣赏你。
继续加油。=)

Anonymous said...

这不也是一种『鼓励』的分享?:)