Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Read “Sam : A Mother’s Journey of Faith”

Everything begins when Lim discovers that her elder son, Sam, is suffering from a cancer of the lymphatic system…

The physical and emotional struggles were so real. Very human and truly touching at many moments. I would say it’s quite a nice, easy read.

I think there’s something we may learn from the author, the mother. She attributes every twist and turn of events to the perfect timing of God. She is forever thankful whenever things turned out right and favourable; and she is still thankful when things turned out otherwise, for she believes there must be a reason.

Erm.. Okay, if we are not a Christian, we might feel she is over-doing it, in her countless expressions of the greatness of God.
- God is good.
- God is good, so very good.
- God is so faithful.
- God is so merciful.
- God is so gracious, and so on splashes throughout almost every single page.

Don’t get distracted. This only shows the extent of her gratitude and faith. Read on and sense how strong she is, how strong Sam is, and be impressed by the many supports around her.

In the book she expressed anger towards Satan and she rebuked the “evil forces” around her at times. Those reactions were natural, I guess.

However, some silly thoughts ran through my mind when I read about such sections, telling me that perhaps we needn’t be that angry towards Satan or any “evil forces”. (Erm.. I say first hor. I don’t mean to offend anyone or to cast doubt in anyone’s faith. The following are just some wild personal reflections and thoughts. I am also very scared of Satan, okay.)

In the first place, how can we say Lim is so strong? How can we sense her strong faith? There must be evidences. Sure, she had gone through tough times with the physical and emotional traumas, especially the struggles with the “evil forces” - the way she perceived it. So, it is almost directly through those “evil forces” and the satanic influences, we gather she had won the battle and therefore she is strong. Yes? No?

Next, we say the Almighty God creates everything. So certainly Satan is also a creation of His. So Satan must then be once upon a time God’s angel. Yes? No? By some twist of fate, Satan became a “tester” of man’s faith. Scary.

In God’s plan of salvation, I believe Satan is one of His targets since Satan is part of his creation. Yes? No? Ha.. I’m actually thinking of someone saving Satan while I can’t even save myself! Silly me!

Erps.. the topic seems too heavy tonight. Okay, let me show you something lighter.
A God's creation in His "image" :



No comments: