Monday, September 25, 2006

When File Gets Corrupted…

Corrupted – Not in the political sense, but in the IT-sense. I have been working on the file for about a month. Upon opening in the late evening, it said a table within the document was corrupted. I was instructed to convert the table (but there were so many tables in that document) to a text format in order to save the information within the table. In other words, the said-table must go. Again, there were so many tables in that document. Mm..

When I tried, it only got messier and Word closed by itself numerous times and each time it suggested to me to send an error report to MS by clicking a button. Moreover, even the Word-recovered versions were not good, as each recovered versions still seemed to have contained the corrupted table(s).

Cold sweat man! Argg..

Certain thoughts crossed my mind

- Ask for help. Hesitated. Silly me may not even understand the IT lingo used by my IT-savvy pals. I will leave them pulling their hair. Haha..

- Delete the file. It’s not really a very important piece of work anyway. But… if it was gone, a part of me will be gone too. Heh.. Exaggerating. :P But taking this measure will be admitting 100% defeat. Just not my style man. ;)

- Just don’t open the file. So there would not be any problem then. Xiao. Super Ah-Q.

- Try (harder again) to fix it myself. Scary. But at this kind of timing, I think it is the slightly more sensible measure. Mm..

You think I can succeed?

I noticed a pattern. Whenever the cursor rested on top of some tables, the problem recurred. Mm.. I did something silly. I did a cut (from the cursed-document) and paste (to a blessed-document) by skirting around all tables. It actually works. Silly thing works! Yahoo!

Still, doing such maneuvers through more than 60 pages of work left me feeling really dull.

I think I still feel not-too-bad to be able to recover a corrupted file, when even the auto-recovery function failed so miserably. Hehe..

Have I actually learnt the value of doing routine backup? Mm..

Corruption is bad. (The big political big-shots hear that!!)
Left me feeling giddy and silly.

- - - - - - - - - -




Is this just a scenic range beside a calm lake?
Do you see what I see?
Click on the picture for a vertical perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. the first thing I saw was: an awaking creature ~
Hmm.. *sweats*..
Hehe, now I see the scenic range by the calm lake.
And of course, the unexpected and inspiring vertical perspective. =) (._.) Nice..

Anonymous said...

这一幅画总是提醒我
“换个角度”看一看的重要性。:)