Monday, August 08, 2005

I Mean Business..

Certainly a very inappropriate heading.
Just that, I am really very determined and serious not to be a businessman (
商人) and/or have a business of my own. I am just not cut out for it, I strongly feel. I try to rationalize such strong feeling :
(1) I will most likely sell things at cost price. (Haha.. much to customers' liking.)
(2) I don't have the guts to take risks. (Can't imagine everything can go to nothing overnight.)
(3) Gaining profit is hardly my priority in life. (Sometimes, I'm also a little confused over this.)
(4) Charges for the maintenance of office, employees ++ are just too high here. (So who's the real sure-win boss?)
(5) I lack leadership qualities. (Some people may disagree on this. oh well.. :p )
... the list may go on.

Today, my department was tasked to sell 'healthy food' to raise fund. My fellow colleges really put in a very decent effort to come out with a pretty wonderful menu. The selling was done rather briskly, but the takings for the day wasn't really impressive even though I find the pricing of the items were already a little too steep. Okay.. the setting-up cost was estimated to be around $170 and the takings for the day closed at around $305. Wa.. near to a 80% profit
leh! However, since we are talking about raising fund, please note that any "labour cost" incurred is nullified and we do not need to pay any rental or PWD charges.

So today's experience of raising fund may be a fun one, but it makes me more certain that setting up a business of my own is a no-no to me. Of course, I do have friends who are doing so well and living so well off, by being a businessman of sort. I guess, different people earn different kind of money ba. I sincerely wish them well.

Nevertheless, I am glad I know what I like. (It's so important to know what we like.)
I shall continue to do good/better what I'm already doing now. =)

No comments: