Monday, June 19, 2006

First Time Watching a Soccer Match.

At 0000h of the day, I was seated comfortably in a nearby Mac Donald Outlet with K watching the match between Brazil and Australia.

Believe it or not, that was my first time watching a soccer game from beginning to ending. Perhaps, I was trying to experience something more “manly”. Heh..

I never really understand the magic of soccer. I see that many guys (and some gals) are totally “crazy” over it while I am so cold towards it. I remember when I was much younger, I even questioned myself about it. Heh... I never really got an answer. I thought I must have no / less ball-sense. I tried to play the game with some friends, but found myself silly running after a ball. And when the ball finally reached me, I just kicked it without any sense of direction. I gave up. Later, I tried basketball, but I don’t particularly feel comfortable also. Finally I landed up pretty comfortably with volleyball when I was in my secondary school days.

Back to the soccer.

This WC is such an international event and I am missing it? How can? But it’s soccer lor : A game I am not in the least interested. But… The fever is on… Erm… I don’t want to feel that left out anymore, I guess.

Since it’s going to be my first, somehow I can’t be starting with a boring match, can I? My spirit will be so dampened then. Haha.. Brazil has such a good reputation. Besides, Brazil was the champion 4 years ago. Hence, for the start, I had decided to pick this match. I initiated a call and requested
K's company. Ha.. And there we were, watching.

The audience crowd was there. Luckily
K reached earlier and was able to secure a seat for us. Not bad, we were really just right in front of the TV LCD screen. Throughout the game, K played another role. That is, K has to induct me into the world of soccer. Right, I was starting from scratch. Haha.. And I learnt. Thanks K!

I must say, I am quite impressed with the way the guys passed and dribbled the ball. What a powerful control over the tiny ball?! But.. Somehow I wasn’t really impressed with the entire match. Maybe I am just not a soccer-person. Haha.. Oh I must add, given the good name of Brazil, Australia
虽败也荣 because Brazil didn't really pin them down that badly. There were some tough times given to the Brazil team too.

The entire experience was fine, though. Maybe because…
(1)
K was kind enough to induct me into the game. So, the boring moments of the match were actually neatly filled with his sharing.
(2) Watching at a public place… Erm.. The crowd will teach you when the exciting moments are. You just have to observe their expressiveness (be it physical, facial, verbal, … ) every time the ball is so near the goal-post. Quite funny actually.
(3) When I entered the venue, I was stunned to be greeted by many *little pals. They were equally stunned to see me there. Haha.. I just don’t look like a soccer match craze, perhaps.
(4) The close-up clips showing the reactions of the coaches were also quite interesting actually. Could it be their name and fame are also dependent on the performance of the matches too?


~ Seemingly, Not Just a Ball ~
Feeling a little funny that I am (finally) writing about soccer.
I am still trying to explore the magic within.
Anyway, I can imagine myself catching up some of the other up-coming promising matches. ;)

- - - - - - - - - -



有一位圣者这么说:

失败要不怒、不悔、不气馁,才有再接再厉地勇气;
成功要能谦、能让、能慎退,才有人敬人服的善果。

No comments: