Friday, June 30, 2006

Obviously the stage doesn’t belong to me.

Obviously the stage doesn’t belong to me.

I have noted, whenever I was asked to perform (singing only lah), give a speech, give a public address, be the emcee of an event or even just to make an announcement, I’ll be so nervous. Nervous for don’t know what??!! The worst thing is no one believes me. Haha.. Some even thought I must have enjoyed every moment of all those experiences.

Let me recall some (not very long ago) instances.

Oh, I was approached to be the emcee of F’s wedding dinner just last December. I remember the first 4 dishes tasted rather blend, but all the dishes after that was wonderful. This is because my official duty stopped after the fourth dish. Haha..

Just about 3 years ago, I was asked to give a kind of farewell speech, without being provided with much guideline. Mm.. The night before, I turned in late and I don’t think I’d slept well either. During the day of the speech, I can’t really enjoy my lunch as it was so blend. I kept on going to the rest room for so many times during the few events before my item. When my name was announced to be on the stage finally.. heh… I think my heart must have skipped a beat.

Mm.. And I was approached thrice (once every year since 2003) to perform during our college very own mid autumn celebration. I think in the first occasion, I ate so little for dinner, and for the second occasion, I skipped my dinner entirely although quite a few close pals offered to buy for me. And, I had to politely declined the offer to perform during the third occasion. I knew I may not be able to take it that well. I’m weak sia. My stage-fright can be that bad. Heh..

This afternoon, I gave another go (during our Youth Day Celebration mini concert put up by staff members). Yeah! But this time, F and N noted how nervous I can be liao. Finally someone noticed that. At the backstage, more fellow colleagues noted that also. I think I must have appeared rather pale and stoned. Haha..
My hands were icy and clammy.
Was I going to faint?
Was that sensation the so-called butterflies in the stomach?
What was that choky feeling on the throat?

Strangely, when the music started, I was more or less stablised after singing the first line. Still feeling nervous, but that kind nervousness (at that stage) only makes me more alert (and not scared). My hands immediately felt warm after the song. Such trend happens all the time. So you see, those watching as audience will not believe how nervous I can be. Again! Haha.. They may even try their best to sabo me for more public appearances.

Its such a waste that the criteria for Singapore Idol is a bit strict.. if not, we would be seeing u on screen.. ”,
the performance was great.. ”,
u should sing more often.. ”,
that was so cool.. ”,
din noe u could sing so well.. ,
cool man.. ”,
seriously your singing not bad leh, but I think better to only sing songs in your generation.. ”,
and so on.

Haha.. I particularly like the last comment stated above.
Anyway, my singing is not really that great. Just average, I think. It is just that these people are kind enough to give encouragement to people around them.

Aiyah, I am simply not a stage-person lah. I also don’t understand how come I can be that nervous. I just cannot tahan the full attention thrown on me, I guess. I don’t mind singing just to you, to a small group. But to try performing to so many people, my legs usually turn soft automatically lor. Not the way I like it actually. I shall think of a way to conquer this limitation of mine.

How I admire F, N, S, K and E for taking on the stage so naturally. :)

- - - - - - - - - -



小故事、大启示

国王与宰相的故事

国王与宰相在商议事情,适逢天下大雨,国王问:“宰相啊!你说下雨是好事还是坏事啊?”
宰相说:“好事!陛下正好可以微服私访。”

又有一天,天下大旱,国王又问:“宰相啊!你说这天大旱是好事还是坏事啊?”
宰相说:“好事!陛下正好可以微服私访。”

又有一天,国王吃水果时不小心切掉了小拇指,他又问道:“宰相啊!你说我的小拇指切掉了是好事还是坏事呀?”
宰相回答说:“好事!”

于是,国王大怒,将宰相关入地牢,然后自己独自去打猎了,不想误中土人陷阱被捉,好在因为不是全人(缺手指),免去被吃掉的恶运,死里逃生才回到了自己的国家,这时他终于知道宰相的好了。就这样,他把宰相从地牢放了出来,然后又问宰相说:“我把你关在地牢里好不好啊?”
宰相又答道:“好!好极了!要不是陛下将微臣关在地牢,微臣恐怕就陪陛下打猎被捉,被土人给吃掉了。”

[ 结论 ]
做人一定要有平常心,凡事均有利有弊,正所谓“塞翁失马,焉知非福。”
就是这个道理,所以说,我们在日常生活当中,对于每一件事,都要善于从积极的角度去考虑问题,乐观地处世,如此,我们才会拥有一个美好与圆满的人生了。

No comments: