Friday, June 09, 2006

He Has His Ways of Doing Business..

I vaguely remember going to this shop at Orchard at most thrice. Every time, it was with a pal as he was checking out something, or buying something. I was never the boss’s economical focus when business is concerned, as I merely tag along, look see look see. I can’t even engage in meaningful conversation at those moments as their conversations were too technical. Ha.. I can only smile along, I guess.

I need something simple and I happened to be at Orchard area today. Naturally, that store came to my mind. The minute I walked in, I can tell from the warmth of the boss’s smile that he can recognize me, though not by name (we were never formally introduced mah.. haha.. no need lah). He attended to me straight away. He didn’t have what I requested, yet he spent a bit of time suggesting logical alternatives. But I really don’t need anything that high-end. So immediately he sent one of his guys to get what I want from another stall and sold it to me at really reasonable rate (significantly lower than the rate published in hardwarezone), without any need for me to bargain at all.

From the way I saw him doing business with a pal of mine, and from the way he did business with me, erm… I think I will go to him again, if I ever need any other related accessories.

This was so unlike another stall I visited within the same complex. The lady salesperson started off my proposed deal of a small item by first stating an unreasonably high selling price. When I try bargaining, she only insisted that her stall is different / unique as their stocks are all of high quality. High quality? Erm.. I was touching the items. Why the need to elaborate? Because the fact their goods are of high quality is not obvious? Haha.. I hesitated. Maybe my hesitation was unnaturally long and she gave in a little and even proposed (in the plainest tone, with no facial expression, not looking at me) to sell the item to me at warehouse price (so she claimed), if I’m really interested. But while I was still thinking, another pair of couple walked in, obviously more eager than me to get some much bigger items. The lady salesperson actually just walked away to attend to them. Wa.. How am I to going to feel interested in her goods? Haha.. Anyway, I think I don’t really need that item. The push-sales-factor then was also that lacking. I just have to put the item down and I so believe I can find better equivalent somewhere.

The GSS is on…
- To get things from the first stall, I don’t even have to wait till GSS.
- It is the GSS, yet the second stall fail to close a deal (that I was partially interested in) at warehouse price.
- It is during sales time, we spent the most. Yes? No?
- I didn't know I also can be drawn by it and I actually purchased quite many things already.
- I hope the amount "saved" from the discounts can cover the petrol, car-parking and ERP charges.

Sales is indeed quite a
学问, I think.

No comments: