Friday, March 24, 2006

Some Chinese Names

Some one in the staff room commented, “Hey, I have a student by the name of Wang Zi. I feel so strange to call him.” Yes, you are right, the name is 王子, which translates literally to “prince”.

Another one quickly added, “I have one with the name Peng You. I feel a little strange to call him too.” The Chinese characters are
鹏友. But naturally we would think of 朋友 instead, wouldn’t we?

Anyway, this sets me thinking of some interesting (real) names I heard over the years.
(a)
艺丽. But why her surname must be? 吴艺丽 ??!! Just read it fast.
(b)
银剑. What comes to your mind?
(c)
建仁. Does this sound familiar to you?
and so on..
What if the surname for examples (b) and (c) is


I am not criticising here. The names are very well-intended, I so believe. But...They leave too much to our (okay, maybe just mine alone) imagination.

There was once someone called me
南哥. Of course, I felt very very awkward. Nevertheless, I was in a playful mood and I played along anyway. I said, "oh please don't call me 南哥, call me Nan Di instead."
That someone : Cannot lah, you are more elderly what.
Me : Oh I don't mean
南弟, I mean 南帝.
Hahaha..

To end this entry, I shall conclude with one fictitious Chinese name (overhead from a Taiwan drama) which will definitely tickle your laughing muscles.


A 小姐对 B 小姐说 : 来来来,我介绍一位朋友给你认识。
B 姐说 : 是那一位啊?
A 小姐对 B 小姐说
: 就是你眼前的这一位帅哥啦。
A 小姐对 D 先生说
: 你还站在哪儿纳凉啊?自我介绍啊。来来来。
D 先生很害羞的说 : 小姐你好。我姓戴,名叫乃兆。
B 小姐几乎喊到
: 你戴乃兆??!! 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




No comments: