Monday, September 19, 2005

Silly Retainer...

For many people, the word "retainer" might not even cross your mind.
Alright, it's just a piece of plastic and metal that is custom-made for me to help my teeth stay set in their new positions after wearing braces.

I'm not undermining its importance. I need it.

I would like to talk (randomly) about the discomfort associated with it.
(1) My speech is impaired. To understand this, try sucking a (big enough) sweet in your month and talk at the same time. Ok... all dear *little pals had a good laugh.
(2) I was told to wear it 24/7 (possibly for about a year), only to be spared when taking meals.
(3) There is certainly an increase in saliva flow. Yuck! Got to consciously control it
lah.. anyhow drool how? Later all the mei mei got the wrong signals.. Haha...
(4) Besides, we know how saliva smells like. This makes taking it out (before meal) and putting it in (after meal) a little messy. Got to 'play' with saliva a bit lah. Don't pretend and tell me your saliva smells great at the later part of the day (albeit you may have brushed thoroughly in the morning). Heh..
(5) Since the retainer retains in the month for so long, it certainly harbours germs, bacteria, plague and maybe food particles. This makes daily maintenance like brushing or even soaking in some kind of mouth wash necessary.
Aiyo.. like an ah pek maintaining his denture man. :P

The orthodontist said that with practice, eventually, I won't even notice it's there.
Eventually!!??..
Heh
.. certainly one more thing for me to look forward to. :)

No comments: