Saturday, September 17, 2005

Urban Beggar?

I parked my car and just got out of it and locked it.
A person nearby looked at me, greeted me and said, "Wa, long time no see. You are driving a car now ah?" Erm.. I searched my memory and I just don't recall that face ever crossed my path.
I returned a friendly smile and walked away.

When I was walking off, the person called for me (not by name, but by "Hello, Siao Di"). I thought I had left something behind and I responded to the call rather naturally.
Wa.. the person said, "Can blunjah aunty dinner not. See (she showed me her empty wallet), aunty really got no more cash liao."

Wait a minute. Aunty? All the while I thought I was talking to a man. The person has a composition of unkept short hair, loose collar tee, short pants, squarish face.. .
Mm.. I scanned for clue. Got the hint that the person could really be an aunty by lowering my concentration level to about the person's chest level :P

Under the broad day light and he.. mm.. ok she was asking (begging?) for money. Oh, it was noted that her wallet was indeed empty, but she was at the same time holding on to a can of soft drink on her right hand. Plus, plus.. she looked "able-bodied".

Every sense of me told me that she should be working for it (her dinner or whatever).
Yet, I gave in to her request. I passed her $2 (maybe just to get her away, or else she might create a scene of some kind).
She even asked if I could give her $4.
I felt a little disgusted. Maybe this word is a little too strong. But.. but..
Haiz.. I told her I had no enough cash and I turned to walk off. She walked off too. I don't remember her saying any word of thanks, not that I'm expected it anyway. It was her almost nonchalant way of asking and taking that was a little disturbing.

She needs help of some kind.
I wasn't helping her.

No comments: